This is What Happened This Morning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok soooo my paranoia tells me to check the valves since I am overdue. I waited because im doing the 351 and figured i be in there any way so I would do it then. I get the body work and seat off... But the tank Right side bolt off center bolt off left bolt the encapsulated or molded in nut is spinning:eek1 Dam you Murphy... why me!!

Any suggestions??

Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
When you turn the engine over by hand(I'm assuming that you are using the bolt on the l/h s on the back side of the crank) it should have moments of resistance and then slack as the valve open and close during crank rotation. Based on the sound from the vid I would suspect that there is a problem with the overrun clutch on the flywheel. Pull the cover for the idler gear and see if the gear on the flywheel will spin in both directions-it shouldn't.
Thanks gbauto I tried that and it spins counter clockwise only. Where do I go from here. Pulled the valve covers and it looks good...oily and shiny no signs of unusual wear. Valves in spec although the exhaust is at the tighter end of spec.

Next step I guess is to open up stator side cover and see whats what!

Old 09-08-2014, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok shes open and I'm no closer to finding the problem!

Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Remember cheaper and easier first. Don't just jump to conclusions and open up the engine. You really need to bump start it to see if its a mechanical issue or an electrical issue. Once you determine the motor WILL fire, you must go and replace the battery. Problem still not solved? Check the wiring of your new starter, perhaps a bad ground etc.

As you can see, without preliminary testing, opening up the motor tells you nothing.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Remember cheaper and easier first. Don't just jump to conclusions and open up the engine.
As you can see, without preliminary testing, opening up the motor tells you nothing.
At this point I would put the stator cover back on with the idler gear in place. Leave the inspection plug on the crank bolt off and try to start the engine. If the starter clutch is working you will see the bolt spinning behind the cover and can use that info to rule out a problem with the starter drive. Like Matt said, you need to rule out the simple things.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, I went back and listened to your video again and it seems like it tries to bump up against compression at the very start of each attempt and then when it hits resistance it slips-I would bet that when you put the stator cover back on and try to start it you will see that the bolt is NOT spinning when the starter engages.
I would suspect that the sprag assm on the starter clutch is fubar.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I still think bad ground

Old 09-09-2014, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX has a starter clutch mechanism, sounds like the starter motor is running to me. The paws on the clutch mechanism are not working. You need to pull the clutch cage off and investigate this mechanism, or load it into the trailer and take it to the shop.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok after putting everything back together and no change (better or worse) I called it quits.

So last night I checked my equipment for accuracy and function....all good!

So this is what I found... battery good, starter motor good, All wiring good. I stopped there to see if anybody posted more info or ideas and to revisit what was said: and as im looking up what to call that gear between the started and the big ring behind the balancer it hits me! That gear is called a "starter idle limiter" Holy shyt!!! did I just read LIMITER I never figured that for some type of clutch mechanism. I actually went write past it and saw on the diagram the one-way clucth, one-way clutch gear comp., a coupling and a bolt all which is behind the balancer.

Out to garage swap out the starter idle limiter and thumbed the starter and

BAM

FIXED!!!!!!

Thanks all for helping out!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikezx10
Ok after putting everything back together and no change (better or worse) I called it quits.

So last night I checked my equipment for accuracy and function....all good!

So this is what I found... battery good, starter motor good, All wiring good. I stopped there to see if anybody posted more info or ideas and to revisit what was said: and as im looking up what to call that gear between the started and the big ring behind the balancer it hits me! That gear is called a "starter idle limiter" Holy shyt!!! did I just read LIMITER I never figured that for some type of clutch mechanism. I actually went write past it and saw on the diagram the one-way clucth, one-way clutch gear comp., a coupling and a bolt all which is behind the balancer.

Out to garage swap out the starter idle limiter and thumbed the starter and

BAM

FIXED!!!!!!

Thanks all for helping out!

Rock on!!! Glad you got it figured out!

Quick Reply: This is What Happened This Morning...