What are friends for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What are friends for?

Over cooked it on a steep rocky decline.
It happens when ambition gets ahead of ability.
So what does my mate Rob do whilst I'm making sure nothings broken and there is fuel spilling out of the tank cap?
Stops to take a picture.

Name:  claimedbytherocks.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  144.2 KB

Oh well, just a few bruises.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL! Gotta love friends! Glad you're okay, though.

Got a stupid question -- I'm not too familar w/ liquid cooled dirt bikes. I know how the radiator sits and all, but I'm wondering what sort of impact it can actually take and live through. How fragile are they, really, and is there any real protection up under there?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats one of those priceless pics.... cool. glad your ok... how did the bike fare?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL,, glad your ok but I would have done the same thing lol...

Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
thats one of those priceless pics.... cool. glad your ok... how did the bike fare?
No real damage to the bike. Just a few more war wounds.
Hand guard was pushed up a bit and the usual scratches and scrapes.
The bike has that many scratches on it now, I hardly notice the new ones.
'it's beat like a red headed step child"

As for the radiator, I haven't had a problem as yet.
But it does look vulnerable and some guys fit radiator guards or braces.
Do a search.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah. . . two injuries to my right leg in 6 weeks (mid June to first of August) and it still hurts! And you're right. . . that IS what friends are for. . . to laugh at us and document our bone-headed moves!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

when hit from the sides on the plastic shrouds they can crunch up if hit real hard. If viewed from the front you will almost always see fins bent because even a big bug can bend them because they are made from paper thin aluminum... as long as you don't have like half of your fins bent flat that doesn't seem to hurt too much either. But keep in mind the rads are made from thin aluminum so it doesn't take too much direct damage to hurt them...but they do have the shrounds on the side and the plastic gaurds on the front to try and keep off direct hits, but if something does go through and directly hit it, like a stick or a rock you can believe it will go right through.

However, as much riding as I have done and have been with others doing I have never had a problem with a radiator nor have any of my friends. Many crunched, bent, and beat up ones, but they all still functioned.
________
Deep fire grenade round shower

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I just read my post, it seems if I'm saying they are fragile and at the same time they aren't.

To clarify. They are thin and delicate but fairly well protected. If an indirect soft blow is administered on top of either the side or front plastic protectors they will either absorb it entirely or will pass the force off as a push and will end up with either no damange or a bend or a crunch. Small bends do not seem to effect the radiators. Obviously it cuts down on overall water and airflow, but as long as its not blocked off it will still work. If the bend is signifigant but functional I would replace one anyway just to keep the bike functioning adqeuately. However, if a gaurd is removed or if an object gets past a gaurd, it takes next to nothing to mortally wound one. For intance, going down a trail at 10MPH even a small stick would impale one.
________
MARIJUANA VAPORIZER

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

It's an unwritten rule that as long as your not hurt, the bike and or you can't move until a picture is taken. Wear it as a badge of honor.....or so I've been told.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

When i crashed last ride, it was a pretty bad one... after i was done being in really bad pain, i asked the kid behind me on a kdx, " i be that was really cool to see huh? lol " he laughed and said hell yea. Some how the bike flipped up and was on top of me when all the dust settled. lol no pic though, kinda wish someone took one now.

Quick Reply: What are friends for?