What else should take care of w 351 install?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What else should take care of w 351 install?

I've got a friend from Seattle coming out to visit in 2 1/2 weeks and they are bringing with them Bill Blue one of his carbs, 351 kit, some extra jets and complete exhaust.

My bike has at least 30,000 km, and probably more like 50-60k km. (Original owner unhooked speedo.) Here in Malaysia its both harder to get parts and they are usually 2X as expensive.

My friends has a bit more room in their luggage. What would you guys suggest I buy from the US and replace along with the 351?

I was thinking the cam chain... any good online source for ordering those?

Let's just assume it has 35,000 miles on it. It's not running bad or anything though there is a ticking type noise sometimes that sounds like it may be coming from the cam chain.
Here in Malaysia replacement parts are about 2X as expensive and twice as hard to find and I will have the engine opened up... what would you guys get as well.

Thanks for all your amazing wisdom!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I like marks manual cam tensioner, it really is mechanically one of the best improvements ive seen for the money (like 38 bucks shipped)... I just purchased it about a month ago, and it did what everyone said it would.

However, my bike only has 3500 miles on it so it was kinda the perfect time to instal it because the chains were basically broke in at this point, and the noise had just came about at the end of summer...
I would pull the chains and inspect them along with the guides...
If they look like they need replacing then do so I guess, but im not the best person to know about this, maybe the service manual has wear specs. on the chains, guides and sprockets... I don't exactly have it in front of me at the moment.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=LikesToThump;458135]I like marks manual cam tensioner, it really is mechanically one of the best improvements ive seen for the money (like 38 bucks shipped)... I just purchased it about a month ago, and it did what everyone said it would.

However, my bike only has 3500 miles on it so it was kinda the perfect time to instal it because the chains were basically broke in at this point, and the noise had just came about at the end of summer...
I would pull the chains and inspect them along with the guides...
If they look like they need replacing then do so I guess, but im not the best person to know about this, maybe the service manual has wear specs. on the chains, guides and sprockets... I don't exactly have it in front of me at the moment.[/
-
What he said, I would get a manual tensioner - kriegercamchaintensioners.com a cam chain and guides as well as a clutch kit. You will need the cam chain and guides eventually with your mileage. And a 351 will eat your old clutch very quickly. Good luck and enjoy your new 351!

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
And a 351 will eat your old clutch very quickly. Good luck and enjoy your new 351!
Some guys have put in heavier clutch springs with the 351.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

yep - I would get EBC clutch kit & barnett springs. I also like the Motion pro throttle - cheap and effective mod.
Couple NoToil air filters?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

buckets x4 (cam tappets) and If I was doing it now would def put in webcams 101 grind while ur at it

Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

rear wheel rimlock and a new knobby!!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Be set up w/ siome new gaskets and maybe new crush washers for the oil pipes. When I did my cam chain I also went ahead and put new water pump seals in. Have fun with your new power!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Before you remove the camshaft caps, write down your valve clearance specs. Then get your valve shim sizes. When you need to reshim the valve clearances, you have info to get the new ones ahead of time so you won't have to make two trips like I will have to do.... minimal down time is the advantage.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a bunch guys!

Any recommendations for online sources for cam chain and clutch?

Is there just 1 EBC clutch - DRC212 EBC dirt racer clutch rebuild?

Rick

Quick Reply: What else should take care of w 351 install?