What do you keep in your tool bag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:43 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default What do you keep in your tool bag?

I have the stock toolbag and dont plan on getting anything else. I have come to the conclusion that the stock tools they give you arent that great. I plan on ditching the stock tools and replacing them with other/better more suitable tools that are small and fit in the bag.

Anyway, what do you keep in your bag asalternate tools and any spare parts like bulbs, fuses etc?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What do you keep in your tool bag?

Well I don't have room in my stock bag for the tools I picked up. But here is a few pictures of some of the stuff I did buy. First I bought the Acerbis storage belt for those longer rides. Its great for holding the after market tool bag I bought, extra tools and a camera and of course the Blackberry.

Here is the stock kit, yea a joke, but I bet someday there will be something in there that I need so I leave it in the stock bag along with my registration.
Name:  Picture_0017.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  73.5 KB

Here is the kit I bought, its a Cruiz kit, but it won't fit in the stock bag area. But depending on the ride I can carry it in the dual sport fanny pack.
Name:  Picture_0014.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  105.9 KB

Here is the acerbis bag and its actually not bad wearing it, but I usually bungee it up against the Pelican case behind me.
Name:  100_5957.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  83.0 KB

Here is a picture of the inside of the Acerbis bag, as you can see I added even more tools and what's nice is that I can get the Cruiz tool bag, my camera and cell phone in the whole thing. I went on a ride yesterday for 40 miles, and took the Camelbac. its nice to have water without stopping and I put in a first aid kit, toilet paper and of course lunch.
Name:  100_5959.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  106.9 KB

I might as well throw in a picture of the Pelican case with various uses, long rides for gas, or short rides for the mail from the post office. I even got groceries in there a few times. You learn to pack well.
Name:  100_4932small.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  81.2 KB

Old 01-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

In addition to the stock tool kit, I carry a small spool of stainless steel tie wire, 5 minute jb-weld putty, SOG paratool (leatherman'ish), spoke wrench, two spare 20 amp fuses, spare spark plug, CO2 inflator w/2 spare cartridges, and a small led flashlight.

For more adventurish rides where I might go farther from home I also carry enough stuff to repair a flat - spare front tube (which can double for a rear tube in a pinch, no pun intended), tire irons, axle wrench, another spare CO2 cartridge or two.

All this fits in my Wolfman tool pack on the rear fender. I replaced the stock tool bag with the Wolfman when I installed the MX style rear fender.

I agree that the stock tools are junk and I have been meaning to replace them with better equivalents, but somehow I just haven't done that yet.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I might as well throw in a picture of the Pelican case with various uses, long rides for gas, or short rides for the mail from the post office. I even got groceries in there a few times. You learn to pack well.
What size are those MSR bottles, the 22oz or the 33oz?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Those are the 22oz. I do have a single 33oz bottle, I haven't really used or found the need to bring extra gas, except on the Poker run back last July, and even then I didn't need it.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

All this fits in my Wolfman tool pack on the rear fender. I replaced the stock tool bag with the Wolfman when I installed the MX style rear fender.
How would the Wolfman Bag fit on the stock fender after removing stock bag???
Any suggestions for a Worthy Fender Bag for the KLX??

Thanks in advance..........

Dave

Old 01-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The Wolfman tool bag comes in two parts. The first part is a stiff'ish rectangle with four grommeted holes, one side velcro, and two adjustable straps with clip locks. You lay it where you want it to on the fender, mark the holes and drill, then bolt it in place. Then the tool pack itself is zippered with velcro on the bottom. It secures to the fender mount with the velcro to keep it from slipping around and then the two straps cinche it down tight so it can't move and your tools don't rattle.

Wolfman makes excellent quality stuff - you will be impressed.

Here's where I mounted mine: