what to do klx250s or klr650?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Lots of comments on keeping both, but the OP said "or". That makes it entirely dependent on what kind of riding you'll be doing. Heck, I'd like to keep about 10 different bikes if money, space, and time were no object.

Oh...and Mopar sucks!
Oh my!...If I'd made that statement about a Ford or Chevy, there would have been some sparks...LOL! Don't you Mopar guys defend your rides?

The only reason I wouldn't want a Cuda or Challenger from that era is that it would hurt too much devaluing it while I was driving it...LOL! Those are awesome cars. I've been a Chevy guy since my first car, but I currently have 2 out of 3 of my vehicles as Mopar now. I love my '12 Dodge hemi pickup. It was a beast in stock condition, but now with a programmer, modded exhaust, and modded intake, it's a real hoot to drive. It's funny...this modern Dodge pickup has well over 400 hp with these mods, but you can drive it around like a granny car if you want, and it'll get an honest 20 mpg on the highway when not towing. That first car I had was a '57 Chevy that I replaced the 283 with a dual-4-barrel 409 that was rated at 425hp...but that engine was rough as a cob to drive with that power...and, it sucked fuel like an Abrams tank.

It's pretty neat and downright amazing that they are making some of these retro muscle cars like the Challenger, Camaro, and Mustang that have the muscle car era look but have civilized behavior, decent fuel mileage, and actually go around a corner with some competence. That new Challenger Hellcat with over 700 hp will be one crazy, modern hot rod for sure.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
both!
Izzat the new Kawasaki Uni-trak-uni-cycle I red aboot on da ADVriders forum?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Agreed! And take them places

Is the flairing (yea I know, but it just popped in my mind while writing, so my fingers did it ) on that KLR cut down, no windshield or something? It looks too light and small for normal. Regardless, looks good... for a KLR...

I also want that headlight nacelle (or fairing, did it right that time) on that KLX, what is it? Actually looks like something made for function instead of trying to make some transformer/preying mantis sort of thing usually sold.

Last edited by klx678; 07-04-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
When i got it it still had the original am 8 track player with a doobie bros tape in it, lol. Its the most original car i have owned and everything matched. Here's when i got it and the stock radio after it was restored. The radio cost 300 bucks in 1970, it was the latest technology, It todays dollars that would be 1600 bucks.

I was asking what went in the engine compartment, not the passenger compartment.

Seriously - what engine?

Old 07-04-2014, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I was asking what went in the engine compartment, not the passenger compartment.

Seriously - what engine?
383 magnum, 335 horsepower, 727 trans. I wish it was a hemi, but then i would be a millionaire.... I bagged the original numbers matching engine and trans and built replacements that i dont have to worry about blowing up, its much more than 335 hp, probably closer to 475. Its balanced and blueprinted 383, forged pistons 10-1, voodoo cam with a huge overlap, 1967 Closed chamber 440HP heads( only made one year).
And in response to this Oh...and Mopar sucks!
No response needed, Mopar Rules. Have you seen the new Challenger hellcat? 707 HP spanks corvette, camaro. viper and any other...

Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Oh my!...If I'd made that statement about a Ford or Chevy, there would have been some sparks...LOL! Don't you Mopar guys defend your rides?
Mopar makes the best muscle cars(past years), chevy makes the best trucks(past years of course), and ford...well....they keep the tow trucks in business haha

Old 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Mopar makes the best muscle cars(past years), chevy makes the best trucks(past years of course), and ford...well....they keep the tow trucks in business haha
You are right, they keep tow trucks in business, thats because the ford tow trucks are towing chevy's that broke down. My 02 7.3l Powerstroke 4x4 with a 6 speed manual will tow anything. Its not uncommon to get 700k miles and beyond from a 7.3l. But i get your point, so lets be more specific, the 2003 to 2013 ford trucks had questionable engines(none mfg by ford BTW), the new ones don't. The 7.3l is arguably the best diesel engine ever made and in line with the Cummins diesel, but they had some issues too.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You are right, they keep tow trucks in business, thats because the ford tow trucks are towing chevy's that broke down. My 02 7.3l Powerstroke 4x4 with a 6 speed manual will tow anything. Its not uncommon to get 700k miles and beyond from a 7.3l. But i get your point, so lets be more specific, the 2003 to 2013 ford trucks had questionable engines(none mfg by ford BTW), the new ones don't. The 7.3l is arguably the best diesel engine ever made and in line with the Cummins diesel, but they had some issues too.
Best truck? Cummins engine, chevy allison transmission, ford suspension and body

Old 07-04-2014, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Best truck? Cummins engine, chevy allison transmission, ford suspension and body
I beg to differ, the international 7.3l has been a work horse for many decades, so has the cummins. I would rate them equal, one is not better than the other, just different and I'm a mopar guy( except dodge trucks, the engine may last, but everything else falls apart around you, been there done that). On the other hand the ford 6.0 and on until 2014 were junk, but none of them were mfg by ford. Funny, i had a cheby guy tell me his chevy is better than my ford. I said really? What makes your cheby better? The engine and trans aren't even made by cheby, so what part is better? idiot. I know ford doesn't make the 7.3l either or my 6 speed manual, but they do their new engine. And i wasn't the one throwing stones at his brand choice. This whole ford vs cheby, great beer less filling is pure stupidity and petty BS. Which is the reason why the war mongering nation we live in can't mind our own business and stay out of someone else's country. Buy what you want and don't worry about what your neighbor bought. After all, your opinion is the only one that matters.

Last edited by mtnman; 07-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I beg to differ, the international 7.3l has been a work horse for many decades, so has the cummins. I would rate them equal, one is not better than the other, just different and I'm a mopar guy( except dodge trucks, the engine may last, but everything else falls apart around you, been there done that). On the other hand the ford 6.0 and on until 2014 were junk, but none of them were mfg by ford. Funny, i had a cheby guy tell me his chevy is better than my ford. I said really? What makes your cheby better? The engine and trans aren't even made by cheby, so what part is better? idiot. I know ford doesn't make the 7.3l either or my 6 speed manual, but they do their new engine. And i wasn't the one throwing stones at his brand choice. This whole ford vs cheby, great beer less filling is pure stupidity and petty BS. Which is the reason why the war mongering nation we live in can't mind our own business and stay out of someone else's country. Buy what you want and don't worry about what your neighbor bought. After all, your opinion is the only one that matters.
Yeah, but don't take it so seriously. It's fun having a brand A versus brand B discussion about cars, trucks, bikes, etc. It's not religion. Just don't bring up motor oils.

Quick Reply: what to do klx250s or klr650?