what to do klx250s or klr650?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default what to do klx250s or klr650?

Ok i have done just about every mod to my klx since i bought it 6 months ago, even got a seat comfort wide seat and my **** still hurts like heck after 20 minutes of riding. I hate to get rid of it because of all the mods and the killer mpg with it. I have my eye on a 09 klr650 with 3800 miles and every mod done on it too. Is the seat on a klr a lot wider than a klx and more confortable? I know the klr wont get near the gas mileage of the klx. I have rejet, exhaust, dual snorkle, 13 tooth ect ect ect on the klx and it runs perfect. I am afraid i will miss the little devil if i get rid of it. How does a klr stack up for on and light off road? I am too old to do motorcross

Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a bike not a couch. The narrower seat makes it more maneuverable. If you are just using it for street and not off road where you stand up most of the time then the 650 might be better for you.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
It's a bike not a couch. The narrower seat makes it more maneuverable. If you are just using it for street and not off road where you stand up most of the time then the 650 might be better for you.
I was wondering why i couldn't find the swing out footrest lever on the side

Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I have both '06 KLX250 and KLR650. The KLR is better on the seat, but a lot of KLR riders change there seat out too. I think there is more room on the KLR for a wider more comfortable seat. The KLR is a lot heavier. Not nearly as easy to pick up, not as nimble, and certainly not a friendly single track machine compared to the KLX. Find someone who can do a custom seat for you. They are out there.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtnman
Ok i have done just about every mod to my klx since i bought it 6 months ago, even got a seat comfort wide seat and my **** still hurts like heck after 20 minutes of riding. I hate to get rid of it because of all the mods and the killer mpg with it. I have my eye on a 09 klr650 with 3800 miles and every mod done on it too. Is the seat on a klr a lot wider than a klx and more confortable? I know the klr wont get near the gas mileage of the klx. I have rejet, exhaust, dual snorkle, 13 tooth ect ect ect on the klx and it runs perfect. I am afraid i will miss the little devil if i get rid of it. How does a klr stack up for on and light off road? I am too old to do motorcross
What kind of riding are you going to do? I came from 4 different KLR600/650's since the mid-80's. For the riding I do now on one bike, I wouldn't go back to that KLR lead sled. If you're not going to do anymore than dirt roads and pavement, then the KLR can work for you.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I have both '06 KLX250 and KLR650. The KLR is better on the seat, but a lot of KLR riders change there seat out too. I think there is more room on the KLR for a wider more comfortable seat. The KLR is a lot heavier. Not nearly as easy to pick up, not as nimble, and certainly not a friendly single track machine compared to the KLX. Find someone who can do a custom seat for you. They are out there.

I agree with this point of view, if one can add the KLR and keep the KLX. I have two KLXs, one is the 250 I just got for actual dual sport/off road and the other is the 650 that was and will soon be my main road ride. I found the 650 way too heavy/top heavy for me to safely use off road (he says while waiting for a fractured ankle to heal from falling in sand on the 250), but it is a fantastically fun road/back road ride.

When it comes to seats, no one is ever totally happy. Gold Wing and BMW riders swap out seats. But the KLR will definitely be a more comfortable road ride. Unfortunately my 650 has a seat on par with the 250, but my butt gets used to it and I stop often enough it isn't horrible.

If you can do it, keep the 250 and get a 650. Then use them for the separate purposes, dual sport and road.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had my klx for 2 years now, ride 30+ miles round trip to school, the stock seat never bothered me

Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the advise. I honestly dont want to get rid of the klx and if i get a klr i will keep both. I dont do alot of hard core riding, mostly streets and backroads/gravel. My klx is so nimble i can do circles around oak trees on my property and go tooling around the woods. I doubt i could do that on a klr. But i want something more road/dirt road worthy for the longer hauls. I'll go look at a few and ride them, then make a descision. I just sold my vtx1800 because i never road it, every time i would take it down my 2 miles of dirt road to my house, it would take 2 hours of cleaning/polishing. Plus after getting the klx, it changed my mind what i wanted to ride. The vtx was a comfort cruiser, but as nimble as a battleship, which i didnt like.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Read some of the seat threads. I don't know what all is available, but there are at least a couple very popular upgrades for the KLX and also some competent custom craftsmen. I read about one place that takes about a day or two and they have rooms for you to stay while you're there. Make an appointment, ride in, get a custom seat made and relax on their nice property. The stock seat on the KLX is certainly lacking but a lot of riders live with it. I have a Guts Racing tall seat in medium foam which works great for me, but its not billed as a comfort seat.

If you're thinking KLR maybe also consider the Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR650L.

Any pics of the Cuda?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

The cuda is ready for reassembly after a total nut and bolt resto, all paint is new, interior engine ect ect ect. Its a completely numbers matching car. I am just trying to find the time for the final stage and reassemble it. The roller is on the car lift in my shop at home and nothing else needs to be bought, just put back together. It took me 4 years to get it to this stage. Its the original color of ivy green metalic EF8
I would consider the suzuki, if it wasn't air cooled.

Quick Reply: what to do klx250s or klr650?