What' the bottom line on alternate fans with IMS tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Default What' the bottom line on alternate fans with IMS tank?

Looking at IMS tank, but don't wanna lose my fan here in hot FL. I've seen some fan hacks here by a few, but wondering about any robust alternatives that seem to be garnishing approval?

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What' the bottom line on alternate fans with IMS tank?

I used 4 smaller fans and wired them directly into the existing fan pigtail. I put two fans on each radiator and haven't had any problems. The fans never come on during normal operation even on 100 degree days - its only the very low gear tight technical stuff where there is little to no airflow that fan is needed.

I originally started with just two fans on the right radiator but added the other two to the left radiator during the summer months. No problems after that.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Here in Dallas my two industrial-strength waterproof PC fans are working just fine. It has to be HOT AS HELL (above 100) in stop-n-go traffic for them to come on and it takes only 60-90 seconds for them to shut off.

Testing the fans almost drove me nuts. I had to have the bike running in the garage for over 20 mins at half throttle and ZERO airflow to get them to kick on.

Don't sweat it.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 PM

The late great BMWHD Todd is back!

You two are the originators of the alt. fan ideas...cheerio! And your examples are the only reasons I've been thinking about the switch.

The Acerbis 3.7 gal tank has that external wings design, but I wonder about not getting all the gas out and having to shake the bike upside down [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Here in Dallas my two industrial-strength waterproof PC fans are working just fine. It has to be HOT AS HELL (above 100) in stop-n-go traffic for them to come on and it takes only 60-90 seconds for them to shut off.

Testing the fans almost drove me nuts. I had to have the bike running in the garage for over 20 mins at half throttle and ZERO airflow to get them to kick on.

Don't sweat it.
Todd, are you saying not to bother with the fans at all? I think it was nobrakes that had a slight overheating problem in the woods doing that...

Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I never had a problem until that one bushwhacking ride when it was 100 degrees F out in the shade. That ride was a b*tch - I was tired and drenched afterwards from the exertion and the going was slow slow slow - I went something like 2 miles in 2 hours. I was working the bike hard to get through those thick woods, briar patches, spinning over downed logs, etc. I don't recommend removing the fans completely because mine do come on occasionally in slow first gear technical trails, but I've never had the high temp light come on until that bushwhacking ride above. But since I do kind'a like bushwhacking and finding new ways through, I went ahead and added the second pair of fans for good measure. Under "normal" riding, they never come on, but I'd not dispense with them completely. But I'd say that they are probably not something you absolutely have to have working on day 1 of your IMS tank install.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi everybody,
Another consideration would be to run "Engine Ice" Hi-Performance coolant made by Cycle Logic. They claim that it reduces operating temperatures by as much as 50 degrees F. I ordered mine through www.rockymountainatv.com along with my sprockets, chain, etc. and got the free shipping. But the Co. info on back of the container is www.cyclelogic.cc (.cc is a new one on me) and toll free is 1-877-806-9377. When I put this stuff in I will use my infrared thermometer for before and after readings just to see what the difference is. Any suggestions as to where on the engine I should take these readings?

Matt

Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd say check the engine cylinder and head. Check the left side because they show much hotter next to the exhaust pipe. Another good place to check is the radiator itself and the hoses leading in and out. The left radiator is the hot side while the right radiator is the cool side - coolant flows clockwise from the riders perspective.

My checks generally show the engine temp at around 160F to 180F under normal trail conditions. On the road it reads around 150F. My fans generally kick on when the temp goes up to around 210F and the high temp light comes up when the temp reaches around 230F. These are just my observations mostly from my Trail Tech Vapor coolant sensor but it matches pretty closely with my IR thermometer also.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

Bumping an old thread for some info. My bike is overseas so I don't have a template to work with. MyKLX 250has a KLX 300 tank on it which omits the stock fan. I would like to take fans back with me to mount on the bike. Can Todd or Nobrakes be so kind as to provide me a link, measurements, part numbers or something so that I can purchase thecorrect fans?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's an old post from Todd (BMWHD). He's the one who found the weather proof 60cm fans. Brian(Nobrakes) made the bracket. A Link to the thread is below the quote from his post. The thread is good reading, very informative.

"OK, with the help of Brian (nobrakes) I've got the new fans mounted. I went with weatherproof fans from Comair-Rotron as stated above but I used two smaller units in place of the one big one. The fans are Comair-Rotron part number 032686 and the model number is CR0612HB-D71GL. These are 60x60x15mm and move 17cfm.

I ordered mine from Arrow Electronics (arrownac.com). FWIW, this vendor is awesome! Overnight delivery of the fans even though I didn't place the order until 4pm CDT. Best price I found too.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the fan install:

Fans and bracket (thanks Brian!). Note OEM fan wire harness cut off 1/2" from the OEM fan motor."

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_226..._2/key_/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Hey guys,

Bumping an old thread for some info. My bike is overseas so I don't have a template to work with. MyKLX 250has a KLX 300 tank on it which omits the stock fan. I would like to take fans back with me to mount on the bike. Can Todd or Nobrakes be so kind as to provide me a link, measurements, part numbers or something so that I can purchase thecorrect fans?

Many thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: What' the bottom line on alternate fans with IMS tank?