What boots should I wear when trailriding klx250s?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

When I first got my boots I tried riding with them on and thought , no way! I thought I had wasted the money I spent. I moved the shift lever up one spline and practiced riding with the boots on. Shifting with boots on, you will have to lift your whole leg/foot as opposed to just bending your foot up at the ankle to make the shift. I love my boots now, and I know they have saved me some injury a couple times. Best of luck.
Dan

Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I got some diadora 'mud' boots - they're dual purpose just like the bike! Real comfy - if I forget my shoes I've got no problems with staying in them all day. Too bad they are now out of production...

Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 AM

i'm pretty clueless when it comes to bikes. Is moving it up the spline easy? I'll google it but is it something I can do? I'm fairly handy, just never "worked" on a motorcycle.

I think i'll try the water technique, I used to do that with my baseball mitt back in the day.

thanks!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Sidi crossfires are excellent out of the box. They have flex hinges at two locations. Expensive to buy, but worth it if you have the $ Moving your shifter up a spline means taking it off and putting it back on one spline higher on the round shifter shaft coming out of the motor.

Last edited by dmar; 05-28-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by soliecirc
i'm pretty clueless when it comes to bikes. Is moving it up the spline easy? I'll google it but is it something I can do? I'm fairly handy, just never "worked" on a motorcycle.

I think i'll try the water technique, I used to do that with my baseball mitt back in the day.

thanks!
Follow the shifter to where it connects to the bike, there is an "output" shaft from the transmission. I believe it is a 8mm bolt that is clamping the shifter onto the output shaft, you have to take the bolt all the way out to get the shifter off. then just move it up a bit.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I got Fox Tracker boots, and yes they are great, but really unless I'm trying to keep up with a bunch of guys on narrow trails, I wear my work boots.

Same here.
I have Trackers, and Thor Quadrants, but on the KLX, 99% of the time I wear my work boots.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I only wear mty workboots to Tim Horton's...if I plan on any trails at all...it's Thor Quradrants...once you are on the trail and the urge to horse around overtakes you....workboots aren't gonna save your ankles from twists or hyper-extensions.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Because not even your boots will save you from the lousy coffee at Hortons

Old 05-28-2010, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Whatever you wear, just make sure they're real moto boots and they fit right. I've had 2 injuries recently. One left me 7 weeks off work, 10 weeks without walking and owing the hospital $22,000. The other one, I'm recovering from right now. I got both feet and ankles balanced out nicely now. Now instead of limping, I walk like a penguin. They both would have been prevented or made a lot less severe had I not been a cheap bastard and gotten some decent damn boots that fit right.

You know how hard it is to wipe your butt with your leg in a giant splint with it sticking straight out? It might be easier for a skinny person, but for a fat guy it's an athletic achievement. Wear the damn boots.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I purchased some Hebo boots for when I rode trials. very comfortable but spendy.

Quick Reply: What boots should I wear when trailriding klx250s?