What bike to race?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What bike to race?

Decided I'm going to start racing!
Never really realized I could do such a thing locally.
Thinking about hare scrambles mostly, maybe an enduro.
The naysaying KTM rider at work thinks I'll kill myself or the bike running in a hare scramble. It's too heavy and slow. I agree on the first part, but on the second, I can keep up with him just fine so....
The real problem is this bike is my commuter too. Not afraid to break bits and pieces(I beat her up pretty good with nothing broken so far), but not going to kill my engine to finish, if something goes really wrong, then race over.
Do I look for another bike to race only?
Do I find a 2 stroker? (Which I know nothing about, other than they are simple engines and usually much lighter bikes.)
And if I do that what do I get?
What I've been told - KDX200 great bike with no "hit" and not much power, KTM300 also great bike with tractor like low end (unusual for a 2 stroke?), KTM200 great light bike with a serious "hit", gotta ride it revved or it will stall.
I know there are more bikes to chose from, just don't know them, it's just got to be lighter than the KLX, otherwise I don't see the point of switching.
The guy at work made it sound like almost any 2 stroke would be too much power for me(he thinks he's a better rider I'm guessing). I'd spend my time looping it out or rocketing off into the woods doing a wheelie. I've never ridden a 2 stroke and I'm guessing he just doesn't like them for his riding style and therefore - they suck.
What to do?
And any other racing wisdom would be much appreciated because I'm starting from zero.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

get a 125 twostroke,superlight & plenty o power

Old 11-27-2012, 02:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

No disrespect to you, but if you can keep up with your buddy on his KTM, you're a better rider than he is. If two guys of equal riding experience and skill ride both bikes, the KTM is going to be faster, conserve your energy better, and just be a good deal easier to ride the rougher it gets...assuming of course that the KTM is in decent shape.

I love my KLX...after just about all the mods you can do it...but it is not a race bike. Yes, you can race it if you go in with limited expectations...like just having fun. I raced many different bikes in enduros and a few MX settings over decades. Our KLX with several mods is one of the best dual sport bikes that is capable of riding in a lot of the places where full-on competition bikes excel, but it is limited by power and weight disadvantages. If you're going to race, you will be way, way ahead getting a good used competition bike and beating the heck out of it. As you point out, all out racing is hard on a bike, and you'll sacrifice the long life of a good dual sport bike like the KLX.

On the issue of 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke, the 2-stroke will be easier to maintain and cheaper to maintain. The KTM200 has great low end power IMO, so I'm not sure where that info came from...unless it was a very old, clapped-out model. A later model KTM200 has more power than a KDX200, but a KDX hardly has "no hit" as was described. The KTM200 has a better suspension. On the KTM300, it may be the best 2-stroke trail/enduro/hare scramble dirt bike even built...and it even excels at just trail riding. I have some exposure to most all these bikes through riding acquaintances and club members out at our off road riding location. I get to test ride and swap among a lot of these bikes. KTM's are also durable and relatively reliable. There are many other good competition bikes out there too, but for the hare scrambles and enduros, the KTM's are just hard to beat.

I'm taking my KLX out to the desert for two weeks of remote, solo riding in the morning. It will go everywhere I will want to go, and I'm very confident it will get me back. I like this bike. I just wouldn't want to really race it against full-on competition bikes.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I argree with the 125cc idea. They have plenty of power and are light and easy to ride. Out of a KDX or KTM300, I think I would go for a KDX. I've ridden a KTM300 2-Stroke and they are hard work. There's a megga bike but the power is unreal and aggressive. On a recent enduro in Spain my friend who owns the bike said it was too much, the power delivery was just too strong for the comditions. He's an experienced rider too. On a more moto-x orientated track the KTM would be megga but unless you're some kinda competition level rider I think it's a bit much. Also a KTM300 needs a lot of regular servicing.

I love 2-strokes and the KTM300 is up there with the most mental. After the 2 day event my friend on the KTM was nackered but me on my KLX felt refreshed as it was much much easier to ride and was comfy. It went everywhere a KTM went.

Ok thats it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

A 125 would be OK as long as you choose the right one. I have a late model RM 125 and it's not a fun bike to ride in the woods. A newer YZ 125 would be a better choice, and a Husky CR 125 an even better (probably the best 125) choice. I hare scrambled a KDX 220 last season. It has an awesome motor that makes it very easy to ride, and it handles quite well, but the suspension is dated, and it's heavy.
An interesting option would be a KLX 300. Good woods bike, and very similar to your KLX. My buddy raced his KLX 250s last year and did quite well, but has since bought a KTM 300. I sold my KDX 220 in favour of a Husqvarna CR 150.
The Huskys are cheap, and VERY capable in the woods.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Cheap KX250s are all over the place. Light and lots of power. Way better suspension than our KLX and more tuneable. Revalve the forks for woods and learn to keep your revs up. If you need help revalving the forks - I'm in Farmington.

I don't recommend a KDX cause once you've done enough work to the suspension to make it competitive - you might as well buy the KTM.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! Lots of googling to do.
DJ- thanks for the revalve help offer, make take you up on that with the KLX in the spring
zomby woof - just looked up the Husky! 211lbs dry! That's what I'm talking about, a bike I could throw around!
Going to be a bit pricey though, unless I get the older 125.
What do I need to look/lookout for when buying a used 2 stroke?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Most smokers have been ridden hard. So look for the obvious frame damage, smashed radiators, etc. Is the rear subframe out of line with the rest.

Take a stand with you and check for bad/dry bearings in the wheels, shock and steering head. Check the rims to see if they're fairly true or not.

The engine should have good compression at TDC. If the kicker rolls through it easily - gonna need a topend. You could also take a compression gauge and check it. If in doubt ask to pull the exhaust and check the piston for obvious signs of damage like scratches, or a layer of aluminum grit. A topend on a 2-stroke costs way less than a thumper but has to be factored into the price.

Check for smoothness throughout the transmission as you shift.

Looks at the guy's garage/workshop and other vehicles. Poor organization usually means sloppy maintenance in general.

Just a few to get you started - hopefully others will add.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djchan
Most smokers have been ridden hard. .
It's been my experience that most 2 strokes are well under - ridden, and most problems are a result of poor maintenance. I've had my RM since new in 07, and ridden it hard. It gets a new piston every year, with a new ring mid season. The rest of the motor is all original.

It's usually pretty easy to find a nice clean 2 stroke race bike. The earlier (blue and yellow) Husky's don't look as nice as the later ones, but are very capable, and their 2 stroke motors are absolutely bulletproof. They're also cheap.

If you think the 211 lbs is light, I have an RM 125 that's 10 lbs lighter, and my Husky feels 20 lbs lighter than the RM, even though it's a little heavier.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:29 AM
1st Gear Member

If you can afford another bike, then yes, you should go that route. Two strokes are great - I prefer them to four strokes, which are also great (just more expensive to maintain and heavier for a given power level). Whatever you decide on, just do your research to pick a bike with the right power characteristics; for enduro and hare scrambles, smooth power is a very good thing.

Talk to the leadership of the local club(s) who organize the races you're thinking about - they'll have real world experience and good advice in terms of equipment and personal preparation.

For your first race, expect that it's going to be much more tiring and trying than even your most intense trail ride.

Quick Reply: What bike to race?