well this was unexpected !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:49 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
you guys have speed limits on trails or something ?
punken's right about some off road areas having speed limits. That great trail from Telluride over Imogene Pass to Ouray has a 15 mph speed limit if you can believe that. I think Ophir Pass near there has one too at 15...same county. And they have guy in a white jeep Rubicon who enforces that limit very aggessively...radar gun and all. That 15 mph deal is a little ridiculous IMO.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

well no bashing of police but come on our police cars and our police bikes are HOT, however getting a fine when one rocks up behind you isnt

Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
punken's right about some off road areas having speed limits. That great trail from Telluride over Imogene Pass to Ouray has a 15 mph speed limit if you can believe that. I think Ophir Pass near there has one too at 15...same county. And they have guy in a white jeep Rubicon who enforces that limit very aggessively...radar gun and all. That 15 mph deal is a little ridiculous IMO.

Man, thats lame. Glad i don't have to deal with any of that, I wouldn't even bother owning a dirt bike anymore.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the brave new world. "Protect and serve" yeah protectect you from yourself and serve you a citation.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Man I need to check North Carolina forest rules and regulations.

25 mph? that really sucks.

Thats the whole purpose in having a dual sport for me. To drive like a nice law abiding citizen until I get to the trails

Last edited by Kobrakriss; 09-07-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kobrakriss
Man I need to check North Carolina forest rules and regulations.

25 mph? that really sucks.

Thats the whole purpose in having a dual sport for me. To drive like a nice law abiding citizen until I get to the trails
I've ridden all over the western U.S., and it's odd that the Telluride area is the only place where I've seen and heard of serious enforcement. I know quite a few ADV guys who live and ride in that area, and they pretty well agree. White Rim trail in Moab is supposed to have a speed limit too with some LE's having radar, but you don't hear near as much about aggressive or frequent enforcement.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

we've been hassled in death valley and cleveland nation forest. they didnt make a huge deal about it, and both times we were kinda looking for it (aka top speed runs in death valley with a POSTED 25mph speedlimit on westside road, and railing moutain roads in cleveland national). another thing that gets checked a lot is spark arresters, and some rangers cry about aftermarket exhuast. really depends who you get and where you are.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Well as you said yourself Punk, "we were kinda looking for it". When you draw that kind of attention to yourself what do you expect? As for spark arresters, I'd rather be required to run them than risk starting a fire and burning up our riding areas. Just my .02 cents.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by canklx
Well as you said yourself Punk, "we were kinda looking for it". When you draw that kind of attention to yourself what do you expect? As for spark arresters, I'd rather be required to run them than risk starting a fire and burning up our riding areas. Just my .02 cents.
when we were doing this, we were on a road that was almost never traveled on, in the middle of death valley. the only other person out there was the ranger. and its not like we got a ticket, we said we never knew.
and im not against spark arresters. ive never run my bike with out one.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Man, thats lame. Glad i don't have to deal with any of that, I wouldn't even bother owning a dirt bike anymore.
That's the whole point. Off road bikes are barely tolerated and government on all levels would rather you not have one. They don't want to ban them outright so they make it not worth having one by squeezing us year after year. I get complaints from mountain bikers on a regular basis about where I ride. Share the trails!

M

Quick Reply: well this was unexpected !!!