Well I'm Off Doing Something Else

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Default Well I'm Off Doing Something Else

If you weigh more than 180 pounds, y'all might to think about this.

On my KLR650, the rear suspension was set on a preload of "5". It was still mushy and the bike did sag a bit more than it should have. I had a machinist friend of mine make some "Raising Links" that I installed.

A "Raising Link" works just the opposite of a lowering link. It makes the rear of the bike about an inch higher. However there is one very important thing to think about here. Since the actually link is shorter, the spring and shock both gain a mechanical advantage in controling the added load you put on the suspension, without having to replace the rear spring.

My KLR650 has an excellent suspension on it now. It rides very good, not harsh, but controlled. It sags the proper amount now and the preload is set to a "2". So, in essence, the suspension is now set up for the "Security Squad Sized" rider.

Something even better is the price. You can spend about $100 on a spring to make the rear of the bike a bit more supportive. The "Raising Link" will set you back about $15 or so. Changing the spring on the KLX is not all that hard, but the first things you remove are the "links".

More to follow on this new product.

No, I do not make them, nor am I being compensated for this. I just know how much better the suspension is with this type of device installed. I have not seen them made for the KLX and a fellow I've met on the internet is going to make some - I'm buying them and giving them a try on the bike. It will raise the seat height about 1 inch, 1.5 inches and 2 inches. I'm going to try all of them to get an idea which one works best and let y'all know.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Well I'm Off Doing Something Else

I'm interested, I'd like to raise the bike an inch or two, and stiffen it up a bit, and I only weigh 175 max. I've seen the lowering links, why not go the other way

Are you still going to respring the front? I'm wanting to do mine, but I don't want to pay someone to do it.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I would also be interested in raising the bike a couple of inches, I mean its either that or loose 50 lbs, and let's face it that's not going to happen any time soon.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I would also be interested in raising the bike a couple of inches, I mean its either that or loose 50 lbs, and let's face it that's not going to happen any time soon.
Alright keep the fat jokes to a minimum. but a couple won't hurt too much.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 AM

FM,

If you put lowering links on a bike that will make the spring and shock work even harder!

I know a few folks that have stated that the bike is way too soft with the lowering links. They are longer and take away mechanical advantage.

However, the guy I'm working with is looking at making those also.

More info to follow soon.

Yes, I am going to re-spring the front end as well. It's a very simple job. I've already looked into it.

Since I will be changing oil at the same time, it will take longer for the old oil to drain than to do the job.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
Yes, I am going to re-spring the front end as well. It's a very simple job. I've already looked into it.
Since I will be changing oil at the same time, it will take longer for the old oil to drain than to do the job.
Good to hear, the service manual made it look tough. Looking forward to a detailed report.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I need to LOWER my bike ... not raise it lol

Old 12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Deej, take a look at the "Tall" seat foam here, scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/cata...kiorderpg.html

This might give you a bit more leg height without using links. Just a thought.

But it sounds like Marty's guy can make you links for less cost. If you are really tall, maybe a combination of both might be the ticket.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 PM

I do think Deej's problem is not that he needs more leg room . . . .

Sounds like he's about 50 pounds too short!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey marty when you put those links on tell me how they work, because i have heard that either going up or down which ever ruins your geometry of the bike and can mess up your bike. just a thought but if this is not true that would be a big help for my KLX300R since i am 6'2". good luck.

Quick Reply: Well I'm Off Doing Something Else