well, guess it's my bikes turn to visit the shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Default well, guess it's my bikes turn to visit the shop

luckly, nothing too major. one of the fork seals is leaking and the helmet lock doesn't lock.(not that i use it, but it's just the principal)
guess i've been lucky up until now. these are the first repairs, besides the ones i've caused. (like bent bars, etc) hopefully it won't take the shop forever to get it back to me.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: well, guess it's my bikes turn to visit the shop

Glad to hear it's nothing major Keith, that shouldn't take long.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxstiffler

luckly, nothing too major. one of the fork seals is leaking and the helmet lock doesn't lock.(not that i use it, but it's just the principal)
guess i've been lucky up until now. these are the first repairs, besides the ones i've caused. (like bent bars, etc) hopefully it won't take the shop forever to get it back to me.

Keith, that seems odd that your forks would be leaking already on a 2006 model... Do you tie it down alot on a trailer or in a truck? do you jump it alot? just curious...

Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 AM

no, it's definatly not from strapping it down bc i use a piece of wood between the tire and fender to keep them from compressing.

it's probably from all the sand down here. it's not leaking bad. after every ride there is a ring of fluid on the tube. i've read about cleaning the seals out with a film negative or tear off from googles, but since its under warranty, hopefully they'll just replace it.

keith

Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxstiffler

no, it's definatly not from strapping it down bc i use a piece of wood between the tire and fender to keep them from compressing.

it's probably from all the sand down here. it's not leaking bad. after every ride there is a ring of fluid on the tube. i've read about cleaning the seals out with a film negative or tear off from googles, but since its under warranty, hopefully they'll just replace it.

keith
Yeah, if your seeing a ring of fluid on the tube after every ride, its blown.. your going to do both right?? (I tend to replace them like car headlamps, change them in pairs but since the bike is so new, it could just be a cut on the one.......)

Old 12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Good luck with the service......[>:] No comment on that.....

Old 12-14-2006, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

When my bike was brand new my fork seal were leaking. They fixed it with no problem. When they took the forks apart they found a little piece of plastic in there. They said when it was assembled in the factory it must got caught in their. Someone else in this forum had the same problem as me but I don't remember who.. When they replaced the fork seals they also replaced the front brake pads because they said the pads could have become contaminated with fork oil and why take a chance! Everything was covered under warranty[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Interesting. I was reading just the other night where there might be an issue with "foreign matter" left in the front forks of some bikes. Seems as though there was a new worker and no one told me he had to remove a piece of tape from each set of forks before assembling them.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

When my bike was brand new my fork seal were leaking. They fixed it with no problem. When they took the forks apart they found a little piece of plastic in there. They said when it was assembled in the factory it must got caught in their. Someone else in this forum had the same problem as me but I don't remember who.. When they replaced the fork seals they also replaced the front brake pads because they said the pads could have become contaminated with fork oil and why take a chance! Everything was covered under warranty[sm=smiley20.gif]
That was me Frank, it was some plastic film or tape that wasn't removed completely before the forks were built. Took about 200 miles to show up. I waited a week for them to get the parts, then they didn't even put them in ! Hasn't leaked since.

As far as tying down the whole way, I know some ol' folk who have done it forever and never 'blown' a seal. The pressure builds up when compressed but doesn't stay built up, it leaks through a hole...kinda like a shock. It's there to dampen the spring, not be the spring. It's not sitting there at 40 psi when compressed for a period of time, it goes back down. Tie it down and after a minute open up the top vent hole...it won't blow out. IMHO.....