Weird buzzing sound?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Weird buzzing sound?

I'm not completely new to bikes.... but I still know next to nothing.......... gone through 2 dirt bikes so far... but i was much younger then, this is my first street bike (2009 SF model).....

I'm at about 350 miles on my odo.. and i've been noticing the whole time i've had the bike that there's a strange buzzing sound in the 4k-5k rpm range... not apparent any lower or higher, and it happens in every gear...

should I get the bike checked out? it seems to be coming from the front end, but it's hard to really tell with a lid on and all....

btw the bike had 34 miles on it when i bought it... and i guess the dealership had it for over a year (they could cut a deal cause of this, I guess kawi cuts them a deal if they have it longer than a year), but the warranty started when i bought it.. so it was "new"

Last edited by toastybake; 03-03-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

My plastic rad guards kinda buzz/rattle at certain rpms, but usually only around 8.5 to 9K. I use it as my shift indicator... lol

Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

guess it could be a perfect gas mileage/break in rpm shift indicator..

I try to skip through it as quickly as possible in case it's a loose bolt rattling or something

Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
JAC
1st Gear Member

I had a similar thing at one time on my '09 250S. I just went over the entire bike and checked/tightened as recommended in the manual. It did the trick for me, the buzzing went away. If I remember correctly, it occurred at about 5-6k rpm.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAC
I had a similar thing at one time on my '09 250S. I just went over the entire bike and checked/tightened as recommended in the manual. It did the trick for me, the buzzing went away. If I remember correctly, it occurred at about 5-6k rpm.
lol nice ava.. if that is bubble rofl

thanks for the input, i probably should go over the whole bike and check tightness lol, im just afraid that with my inexperience i'll ruin the bike.... i've seriously been considering bringing my bike to the shop just for the 600 mile check up!! lol

but my wallet will win in the end and i'll do it myself, the owners manual is very descriptive anyhow.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 AM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toastybake
lol nice ava.. if that is bubble rofl

thanks for the input, i probably should go over the whole bike and check tightness lol, im just afraid that with my inexperience i'll ruin the bike.... i've seriously been considering bringing my bike to the shop just for the 600 mile check up!! lol

but my wallet will win in the end and i'll do it myself, the owners manual is very descriptive anyhow.

Yeah, that's Bubbles alright.

There is nothing difficult about checking the nuts & bolts. I'm not talking about cracking the engine open or anything like that. If you look at the manual it shows exactly where to check. It could be something simple like a reflector. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

My wifes 09 250s had a similar situation. It was the headlight surround vibrating on the lens. Some adhesive weather strip in between the two fixed it.

Last edited by 2veedubs; 03-04-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Once I didn't get the seat fully hooked on the front pin when I stuck it back on. Buzzed when I hit about 5000 rpm. Drove me nuts because everytime I leaned forward to try and find it, it would go away.

Needless to say I felt like an idiot after I figured it out.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine was rhe right side rad guard buzzing on the gas tank.
Get it in the RPM where it buzzes, and start putting hand pressure on the plastics until you find it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Once I didn't get the seat fully hooked on the front pin when I stuck it back on. Buzzed when I hit about 5000 rpm. Drove me nuts because everytime I leaned forward to try and find it, it would go away.

Needless to say I felt like an idiot after I figured it out.
this....

it stops when i lean forward to hear where it's coming from.. never removed the seat before

Quick Reply: Weird buzzing sound?