weight reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't have any scales so I don't know how much weight but the headlight and instrument brackets weigh heaps.
Like most wild animals roos can get nasty if they are hungry. There was a few incidents where they were used to being fed by humans and because it wasn't good for them people were asked not to feed them, they got a bit nasty after that cause they associated humans with food. Most crashes involving roos are because roads cut across where they are going. Usually they are just trying to get away from vehicles and of course don't understand how to.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

things that i lost weight from: stock tank and shrouds(1 lb w/ acerbis), brake light (2 lbs including blinkers), bars and mirrors (not much), smog bs (2 lbs, maybe 3), stock pipe (3lbs, will be done soon).

all in all, about 9 lbs for my bike. you could go with a smaller tank and get a lbs or 2, and also a diffrent head light. not much more you can do, unless your only racing it.

on the flip side, what added weight: skid plate (maybe a lb), hand guards (again, ~ lb), rad guards (lb), hd tubes (rotational mass here, could be quite high though at speed).

looks like i would be about 300 even?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Do I read right, you have a stabaliser/steering dampener fiited?
How do you find it?
Scottsperformance dot com lists them for the 09 klx250s. But.... the kit is not bolt on as the top triple clamp casting for the key mechanism needs to be clearanced for the bolt on post. If the bolt on post clamp/allen head were clocked at 8:00 instead of 12:00 it would be a true bolt on kit. Clearancing took abit of refitting to make sure there wasn't any interference, but wasn't a biggie.

Attached Thumbnails weight reduction?-scottsstabklx6.jpg   weight reduction?-scottsstabklx8.jpg   weight reduction?-scottsstabklx4.jpg   weight reduction?-scottsstabklx2.jpg  

Last edited by RaceGass; 05-21-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default steering stablizer

i was just about to make the purchase then saw your pics and got worried that i would not be able to install myself.
also, i have a bar pad that has come in handy many times, i guess you cant possibly use one with this stablizer?

Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

The renthal bars came with a spiffy cross bar pad. I thought about trimming out the part where the stabilizer is, but then it would have to cut into the neato cover. I dunno I still might do it... it could be easily done. But then the easy access to the adjuster **** would be gone & I stiffen it up when hitting the freeway.

If I were going to modify another triple clamp for the recess, I'd use a 4.5" x .25" grinding disc while fitting it to the frame/bolt on post. It would alittle more precise. I used a grinding bit in a 90 degree angle air tool b/c it was what I had at home, and the bit was atouch to wide. All it took was about an hour.

If you want pro tapers/1 1/8" bars a brp or scotts upper triple clamp might be able to be used but you probably will loose the keyed ignition mounting part. They don't make a upper bar clamp/stabilizer mount when you use fat bar adapters with the stock upper triple clamp - I asked around.

Last edited by RaceGass; 05-28-2009 at 01:37 AM.