Weekends Rides

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Weekends Rides

Hey team!, had an awesome ride in the weekend. Camped at a nice seaside place, ride was very good. I wish I had an easy way of mounting a camera to show you guys some of the views. We did the 24km circuit 3 times and some of the younger guys did it 4 times. It was pretty tough going in some of the gullies and I got spat off exiting one creek, a tight downhill left into the creek followed by a very steep clay right hand climb out of the water that you had to spin around left 90 deg at the top of the bank to make it on to the trail again.
Here are some shots from one of the ridges. It is part of an area called "the bay of islands".

Second lot of riding was at a friends mx track. Now here is a dont do!.
I was locking up my rear wheel on some of the steeper downhill / corner transitions so I went back to the pits and adjusted my rear brake so it came on later. I proceeded to get back and circulated half a lap and then got to the downhill where I needed the rear brake. OOOOPPPS! lever stopped on bash plate and didnt do any stopping, I overshot the jump straight down to the next corner going way too fast to get around the berm and launched straight off the edge highsiding into a swamp. Soft-ish landing but busted up my chest protector and had dripping mud all over the front of me.
As per usual KLX started 1st go and rode through the mud and out! Managed to give the kids a good laugh when they saw me, I couldnt pretend it was only a minor with the evidence all over me. Oh, the track is a dry one.
So guys do you have any tips for removing the scratches in the plastics? I got the headlight surround, the rad shroud, front guard, bark buster and a minor scrapes on the shock sidecover.
Shook me up a bit, I was only out there having a play and wasnt even going to put my armor on, lucky I did.
Hope all of you managed to get out there and get your bikes dirty
Lee

Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Weekends Rides

ORIGINAL: Kiwi Lee

Hey team!, had an awesome ride in the weekend. Camped at a nice seaside place, ride was very good. I wish I had an easy way of mounting a camera to show you guys some of the views. We did the 24km circuit 3 times and some of the younger guys did it 4 times. It was pretty tough going in some of the gullies and I got spat off exiting one creek, a tight downhill left into the creek followed by a very steep clay right hand climb out of the water that you had to spin around left 90 deg at the top of the bank to make it on to the trail again.
Here are some shots from one of the ridges. It is part of an area called "the bay of islands".

Second lot of riding was at a friends mx track.Now here is a dont do!.
I was locking up my rear wheel on some of the steeper downhill/corner transitions so I went back to the pits and adjusted my rear brake so it came on later. I proceeded to get back and circulated half a lap and then got to the downhill where I needed the rear brake. OOOOPPPS! lever stopped on bash plate and didnt do any stopping, I overshot the jump straight down to the next corner going way too fast to get around the berm and launched straight off the edge highsiding into a swamp. Soft-ish landing but busted up my chest protector and had dripping mud all over the front of me.
As per usual KLX started 1st go and rode through the mud and out! Managed to give the kids a good laugh when they saw me, I couldnt pretend it was only a minor with the evidence all over me. Oh, the track is a dry one.
So guys do you have any tips for removing the scratches in the plastics? I got the headlight surround, the rad shroud, front guard, bark buster and a minor scrapes on the shock sidecover.
Shook me up a bit, I was only out there having a play and wasnt even going to put my armor on, lucky I did.
Hope all of you managed to get out there and get your bikes dirty
Lee

"MOTHERS" brand makes a plastic polish. It won't take out huge scrathes, but works pretty good to polish out some of the small stuff. I've only used it on a John Deere Gator at my old job, but itworked pretty decent.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks man I will look for it.
Lee

Old 03-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the great pictures.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats ok Deej, could have taken heaps more but I was riding. Am thinking of fitting a cam to the side of my helmet for a laugh. I will need to stay away from swamps.
Lee

Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Thoes first two pics remind me of the movie Goonies. Great pics!

-Nick

Old 03-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Goonies......now that's a classic. Some of that was filmed in Astoria Oregon about 5 hrs south from me. And that concluded another old classic dug up by yours truly.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya that movie was made a year before I was born but it's one of my favorites.

HEY YOU GUYS!!!

TUFFLE SHUFFLE!

Sorry for being off topic.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey that does indeed look like the little guy that whacked the bike out from underneath me and made me eat dirt!
L