weekend valve job

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Default weekend valve job

During the week I started to notice my bike was making some weird ticking noise. As the revs went up the ticking was faster and since some others have done this little weekend project and the fact I have 3000+ miles on my bike now, I figured it was due and possibly the culprit of the noise.

So I downloaded Brian and Tonys pics and instructions on how to do it. (Thanks guys) and went to work. It was fairly straight forward but I would like to strangle the engineer who designed all the hoses and wires all over the place (and why are there 4 hoses on the gas tank? I get that two are for gas but what the hell do the other two do?)

Anyways, I find one is really close to the low end of the tolerance, so I take that one to the dealer and to get a replacement. The mechanic there tells me these things never wear out (carbon steel) and allows me to just swap with him (normally, they are 10 bucks a pop). He also tells me that they are the exact same part for Hondas.

I get back home put back together, It took me an additional hour figuring out how to get all those tubes re-routed (hence, the desire to strangle an engineer) get the tank back on and put in some synth oil and change the oil filter. Before I get the seat back on I decide to start the bike up. I wasn't sure if the cam chain may have moved a tooth on the bottom sprocket. I guess it didn't since it started right up. (Whew!). I rev it for a sec and that G**DAMN ticking is still there! My brain is reeling at the thought that I have to break the head back open to see if I missed something. I stick my head down by the engine to hopefully get a better idea of what else I may need to do. And then I see what is making the noise....

The catalytic converter has this hard plastic piece on the outside of it that goes back and forth, it is also just bairly touching the the top of the head and making this nice "ticking" noise as it vibrates.

Next week I am buying a shotgun and will be using the converter for skeet.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: weekend valve job

Dam that sux. Good job on the valves though, next time its ready you will have no problem.

Give that cover a extra shot for me too! lol

Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 PM

So... anyone know what the other 2 tank hoses are for?

Old 08-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

During the week I started to notice my bike was making some weird ticking noise. As the revs went up the ticking was faster and since some others have done this little weekend project and the fact I have 3000+ miles on my bike now, I figured it was due and possibly the culprit of the noise.

So I downloaded Brian and Tonys pics and instructions on how to do it. (Thanks guys) and went to work. It was fairly straight forward but I would like to strangle the engineer who designed all the hoses and wires all over the place (and why are there 4 hoses on the gas tank? I get that two are for gas but what the hell do the other two do?)

Anyways, I find one is really close to the low end of the tolerance, so I take that one to the dealer and to get a replacement. The mechanic there tells me these things never wear out (carbon steel) and allows me to just swap with him (normally, they are 10 bucks a pop). He also tells me that they are the exact same part for Hondas.

I get back home put back together, It took me an additional hour figuring out how to get all those tubes re-routed (hence, the desire to strangle an engineer) get the tank back on and put in some synth oil and change the oil filter. Before I get the seat back on I decide to start the bike up. I wasn't sure if the cam chain may have moved a tooth on the bottom sprocket. I guess it didn't since it started right up. (Whew!). I rev it for a sec and that G**DAMN ticking is still there! My brain is reeling at the thought that I have to break the head back open to see if I missed something. I stick my head down by the engine to hopefully get a better idea of what else I may need to do. And then I see what is making the noise....

The catalytic converter has this hard plastic piece on the outside of it that goes back and forth, it is also just bairly touching the the top of the head and making this nice "ticking" noise as it vibrates.

Next week I am buying a shotgun and will be using the converter for skeet.

I might get a lot of flack for posting this from other guys that are more experienced with this, but I found out and am sure the noise was the cam chain adjuster, as soon as the adjuster can grab the next notch it then gets quiet again. Mine started making the tapping noise around 1500 miles and then one morning when I went to start it it was perfectly quiet. When I had the jetting and muzzy installed I asked the mechanic about it and he said I was right, in that just like an automatic brake adjuster on the rear drum brakes it has to wear until it is able to get to the next notch. So I would keep riding it and I'll bet you will hear it get quiet soon. I have 2800 miles on my bike and just noticed it is starting to make a slight ticking when its cold, and as the engine heats up it gets quiet again. So that's the story and my opinion. If you have another thought out there feel free to comment. Later all.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

there is 2 vent hoses from the gas cap that are a few of the hoses hanging down, open the gas lid, you will see the two holes on each side of the cap, im guessing its for if ya over fill it or something....

Old 08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: charleshmosesii

So... anyone know what the other 2 tank hoses are for?
Should be vent and overflow.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: deej

[
I might get a lot of flack for posting this from other guys that are more experienced with this, but I found out and am sure the noise was the cam chain adjuster, as soon as the adjuster can grab the next notch it then gets quiet again. Mine started making the tapping noise around 1500 miles and then one morning when I went to start it it was perfectly quiet. When I had the jetting and muzzy installed I asked the mechanic about it and he said I was right, in that just like an automatic brake adjuster on the rear drum brakes it has to wear until it is able to get to the next notch. So I would keep riding it and I'll bet you will hear it get quiet soon. I have 2800 miles on my bike and just noticed it is starting to make a slight ticking when its cold, and as the engine heats up it gets quiet again. So that's the story and my opinion. If you have another thought out there feel free to comment. Later all.
I had thougt about doing that also, but the noise was coming from the top of the head, so i kinda ruled that out. also, I heard that you can get it to go to the next click by backin off the adjuster bolt until you hear the click and then tighten back down.

Just cant remember if you do it with the motor running or not. but I will remember that for next time.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I get a ticking around 5000rmp and it disapers aroud 6000rmp do you know what that is?