Weekend Solo Ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Weekend Solo Ride

So I went for my first solo dual-sport ride this weekend. I've done some solo road rides, but generally our rule is no riding alone, especially in the dirt. But my husband was busy, so I decided to head to the mountains. The ride was around 120 miles (50% Forest Service roads and 50% pavement). Although there are numerous single-track trails in that somewhat parallel the main FS road, I decided I should stay on the main road for safety.

Everything was going really well, and I was having a ball, but I was getting hungry. I decided I should eat lunch where there were other people around, so I decided I'd ride on to the campground. But it was hot, I was thirsty, and I needed to stop for water a couple of times. Finally, I stopped at this tree for a drink of water.

I put the water bottle back in my tailbag, then headed off towards the campground about 10 miles away. I was moving right along, enjoying the ride through the forest. Finally, I arrived at the campground, pulled up to a vacant table, and went to open my tail bag to get my lunch. Only thing was, it was already open! My lunch was gone--inlcuding my water and bottle of iced tea! I thought oh great. I must have forgot to zip it shut back at the tree.

I had put some cheese and crackers in my tankbag, so I did have that, but trying to eat cheese and dry crackers when you're dying of thirst isn't too great. I could have ridden back to the tree, but I'd passed some Jeeper's, and figured they might have picked up the stuff I'd lost. I did take an inventory though, to make sure I hadn't lost anything really important. My tools, jumper cables, and pump were still in there.

It was so hot. I thought about asking some campers for a drink, but I didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I was a girl traveling alone. So I decided to take a cutoff road down the mountain to the highway that would lead me to a small town that had a McDonalds. Only thing was, if anything happened, my husband wouldn't know I'd taken that route and wouldn't know where to look for me. So I tried to ride slow and cautious going down the mountain.

Here's a pic along the way:

I arrived at the highway safely, and arrived at McDonalds a short time later. I called my husband to let him know I was ok. Then I went inside to order. There must have been 25 people in line in front of me! Being impatient, and about to die from dehydration, I left and went to the gas station across the street. Lunch was a beef stick, cheese, ice cream bar, and lots of water. It was actually pretty good. I sat on the curb eating my lunch alone, then headed for home on the highway.

So that's it. Not my most exciting ride report, but my first solo dual-sport ride. It was actually a lot of fun, and I'd like to do it again, but we'll see. My husband was pretty freaked out about me riding around in the mountains alone.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice! Yeah crackers and cheese with nothing to drink would be rough haha.
Dan

Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Plan your routes with time estimates and check in periodically. Don't dress like a girl, don't stop for strangers. Take your breaks in open places where you can see if anyones comming so you can remount the bike and leave. In the places I ride there are alot of women riders but with the proper saftey gear and on the bike you can't tell what sex the people on the bikes are it's only when you stop that i realize I just got smoked by a girl.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like a tough place to find yourself without water. Reminds me of a long ride I went on once. I was riding my Honda Shadow on a paved forest road that goes way up into the Cascade mountains. I brought two of the smaller bottles of gatorade but the day turned out to be one of the hottest days that year (105) and I ran out of the juice way sooner than I thought I would. When I finally got to a highway, it was still another hour of riding before the nearest store. I still had a fun ride, but I always bring way more water than I think I'll need after that day.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Pack a pistol.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
Plan your routes with time estimates and check in periodically. Don't dress like a girl, don't stop for strangers. Take your breaks in open places where you can see if anyones comming so you can remount the bike and leave. In the places I ride there are alot of women riders but with the proper saftey gear and on the bike you can't tell what sex the people on the bikes are it's only when you stop that i realize I just got smoked by a girl.
Guess I should probably not wear my riding pants and jersey with the pink accents when riding alone. I don't think I'd be mistaken for a guy though, even with generic riding gear on, because of my size.

One thing I have learned, is not to wave to other motorcyclists when riding alone. I was recently out for just a quick ride through the neighborhood. I do this often, just to help keep the batteries charged up on my bikes. I see this guy on a dual-sport, so naturally I wave as he passed me. I was getting ready to turn onto my street. The guy made a u-turn and followed me. Luckily I had left the side gate open and rode down the side of the house to the backyard before the guy completed his turn. He didn't see where I went. My husband happened to be out front and saw the guy looking up and down the street. He finally left. So I decided no more waving when alone--good way to pick up a stalker, or at least unwanted company!

Originally Posted by brownie2
Pack a pistol.
haha! My husband would like that idea.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

HeavyFuel your better off diluting that gatoraid with water. Too much salts in it you'll stay thirsty.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brownie2
Pack a pistol.
Foolish to leave home without it

Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
HeavyFuel your better off diluting that gatoraid with water. Too much salts in it you'll stay thirsty.
Yah, I quit the gatorade completely. I drink only water these days, except for the occasional beer in the evening.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
my camel back gets half gatoraid half water, you feel way better at the end of the day than if you would have been drinking just water.