WEAR YOUR BOOTS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Default WEAR YOUR BOOTS!

I hope everybody had good rides today, because I did. I would just like to remind everyone to wear MX boots or the enduro eqivilant. If I was wearing combat, or jump boots today I probobly would have snapped my shin bone. I wear Fly viper MX boots and they literely saved my ankle and shin from being snapped in two. I was going around 35-40 mph jumped over a road and landed a little off coarse instead of making the landing I went flying into a 6ft deep ditch the front tire hit the oposite side of the ditch and Im not really sure what happened after that because it was so fast. The bike ended up in the bottom of the ditch and I ended up on top of the other side of the ditch. Amazingly again the bikes fine, slight fork twist but nothing that banging against a tree wouldn't fix. Me on the other hand, some how my left leg just above the ankle was crushed and battered (Remember my boots are heavily reinforced and are about 50% plastic) I hopped right up only to lay right back down because of a light head and pretty good pain coming from my ankle area. If I had not been wearing MX boots I am 100% sure my leg would have been badly broken and that coming from a guy whose nick name is stitch! I layed there intill my leg stopped throbbing then stood up and noticed that my right thigh hurt but not a big deal so I slid down the side of the ditch to retreive my bike. It started then died(uh oh!) but then I started her up again stayed running backed her out of the ditch and rode home. My ankle actually doesn't look too bad slightly swollen with point tenderness. My thigh looks pretty funny I think it hit the bars on the way over. Heres a picture! But yet again the KLX 250S sustained no injurys, and Im in pain with bumps and bruises all over.

It hasn't started bruising yet just swollen and looks like a strawberry.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/F6D3826F02F24315B6046BE600673307.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 AM
Default RE: WEAR YOUR BOOTS!

Dang, I want to be there when you explain that injury at sick call tomorrow! Might even get a free trip to see the first sergeant! I was on a first name basis with mine when I was in, saw him that often!

I believe in dressing for the crash, not the ride! I'd rather be over-dressed then underdressed.

It don't matter how much you intend to go riding, please wear safety gear.

One of the worst injuries I got was while starting a bike that had been sitting for about a year. Of course, since I was "just working" on the bike, and yes it was summer in Florida, I had on a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and sandals. I had the seat off and was sitting on the frame while I had a friend tow me down the street. I got it fired up and was so happy I started shaking my head in a "yes" motion. The driver interpreted that as a "PULL ME SOME MORE" signal and before I could react to the vehicle starting to pull me, I was over. Do you know how much a seat tab can cut into an unprotected leg? I certainly do. I still have the scars on both legs to remind me of that exercise in stupidity. Even when running around the block, I have a helmet and all the gear on now. It can happen before you can react. I've learned my lesson and hope you're reading this will prevent you from learning the hard way too.

Glad to hear you're all right - a bit sore and battered, but nothing broken or missing!

Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 AM

DAMN!!! That KLX can sure take a beating, and so can you lol. Was this on a paved road Sdunne?? What were you jumping on a paved road, rail road tracks? I always wear MX boots as Sdunne suggests above for the same reason, you never know when this is gonna happen. Actually, I am always really padded up. I wear the MX boots, the Pants that are made to take the heat from crashing and sliding on the road, the heavily armored Meshed jacket, gloves, and a full faced helmet. Then when I see guys pull up next to me with their shorts on, tank top, flip flops, and a Full faced helmet riding the Hayabusa, I just kinda shake my head and hope the best for that kid. If I do get in an accident and am lucky enough to survive it, then I still would like to have skin on my body and not have to get it graphed all over the place. Thats what I also think when I see the guys on Harleys with the little hard caps on, if that face lands on the pavement and skids of oh, about 20-30 feet, then they will have no problem at all looking like skeletor from He-Man. But if thats what they want to do that is there life, and more power to them, its just not what I would like to happen to me.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 AM

Dang, I want to be there when you explain that injury at sick call tomorrow! Might even get a free trip to see the first sergeant! I was on a first name basis with mine when I was in, saw him that often!

Sick call what is that! I dont go to sick call cause even if you have a serious problem its always "take motrin, drink water"

Or what I always tell joe "take a knee, drink water, face out, and pull security"

You will never catch me doing serious riding without a helmet and MX boots at a minimum.

Little off subject: Picture from Iraq before we went out on a raid(wild night)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/2DE1544A69624475ACD96D5B6A953AE7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 AM

Was this on a paved road Sdunne?? What were you jumping on a paved road, rail road tracks?
None of the above, cut threw a wood line over a dirt road sketchy landing(at the point of stop or jump I gunned it, bad idea!)

Old 04-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Glad you were able to walk/limp/ride away under your own power sdunne!

BTW, Iraq - when were you there and which one is you? I've had a couple of buddies over there, both are back now. One did repairs on M1 Abrams tanks, not sure of his exact job. The other, a very long time friend of over 25 years, was stationed in or near Kuwait. He's in the Reserves now and was in the Reserves when in Kuwait, but when he was active duty was with the K9 unit - MP in the Air Force, I think. Props on your service - you guys rock! Stay safe!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 AM

We where there from late Apr 03 to late July 04 I was a Squad leader with 1-36 Infantry, 1st Armored Division.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/2191776F8B2B41B99410D41BBEEC2C5B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2006, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Damn glad to hear that your okay buddy... Even more glad that I wasnt following you that day. I hope that you had a great weekend and I will call you and see what your up to and how your feeling.