Weapon experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Went today and rented a glock 26, a springfeild xd, a beratta px4 and a khar pm9, all fine weapons I shot 50 rounds thru each and the all fired well no jams or mishaps. I liked the glock and became use to the grip but the px 4 and the xd felt better the khar was uncomfortable but smallest and easy to conceal.more confused now then before I went there all nice.
the XD has been growing in popularity due to the similarity to glocks but a lot of people find them more comfortable. they are a top notch pistol.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
My first handgun, a Ruger SR9 has been great. It's got an adjustable grip, and a number of safety features. It's slick looking too.
love the SR9 - I carry a P95 right now but would like an SR9 for it being thinner for conceiling.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by old man
My P3AT fits into the outer pocket of my jacket real well. It is easy to carry everywhere.
Make sure to put 200 rds thru it to ensure functioning.
They allow you to carry down there in the Peoples republic of maryland?
not yet - we had a lot of people show up in annapolis yesterday for the review of a proposed bill to make maryland "shall issue" we'll see if it gets any traction.

meantime i can only carry in 31 other states

Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes
Sid, you're right. I don't have any real world experience, and I hope I never have to get it. I just know that German troops in WWI were so terrified by the Winchester pump in the trenches of France that they were outlawed by the Geneva Convention. I'd say that qualifies as at least anecdotal evidence.
A 12 gauge in a trench loaded with buckshot was a terrifying situation in World War One if you were on the receiving end.

A drugged up criminal or gang-banger might not be dissuaded by the sound of a pump slide, but I'll bet you he recognizes that sound. Even if that doesn't discourage him your preparation could be the difference.
If you have to load your personal defense firearm during the "event", I say you were NOT PREPARED!

I should note that I am the only one living in my house so, leaving a loaded firearm at ready access is not an issue in my household. If you have children or curious guests at your house, that might not be a good choice unless you keep a pistol on your hip all the time.

In terms of either of us recognizing the sound of racking the slide on a pump shotgun, neither of us will ever break into someone's house or car so we will never hear that sound in that situation.

I'd not want to rely on bird shot for defense. I reloaded hundreds of 20GA shotgun shells with a hand Lee Loader as a kid. Can't say as how I ever properly patterned a hand load, but I get your point. For home defense, give me a 12GA with #1 buck or 2 shot, and a pistol for backup.
I can generally find scraps of used denim cloth and I can get sheetrock scraps from construction site dumpsters for testing shotgun loads at varying distances. I suggest this as a good exercise for anyone that is going to use a shotgun load that isn't common to Law Enforcement. Know what your choice will do before you use it in a deadly force encounter.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Went today and rented a glock 26, a springfeild xd, a beratta px4 and a khar pm9, all fine weapons I shot 50 rounds thru each and the all fired well no jams or mishaps. I liked the glock and became use to the grip but the px 4 and the xd felt better the khar was uncomfortable but smallest and easy to conceal.more confused now then before I went there all nice.
Were the PX-4 and XD full size pistols?

Get the largest pistol you will ACTUALLY CARRY. As mentioned earlier, great leather makes carrying a big pistol practical. You also need a pistol you are comfortable with. I don't care what brand it is, if YOU are not comfortable and confident with it, it is the WRONG choice!

That rules out the Kahr because "the khar was uncomfortable but smallest and easy to conceal".

Go to a large gun store or a gun show and grasp a lot of pistols. An HK P-30 or Sigarms may fit you better then the ones you test fired. And, don't rule out something like a Browning Hi-Power. While it's not a popular choice, they work very well (in fact they were standard issue for British SAS for a long time).

Old 02-25-2009, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

No all pistol's shot were sub compacts, I did shoot a Glock 19, and 17 for reference but only one magazine. I want to shoot what I'm going to buy This morning went and shot a Sig p239,229,250 they were nice also.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

My brother in law has a H&K p2000 for his service pistol I'm going to shoot that later in the week.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

My friend is a FFDO and is issued an HK USP 40S&W with the DAK trigger and swears by it. Let us know if the HK you going to try has one and how you like it.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to try out the SR9. While being a full length, it's extremely thin for a full size 9mm. Holding a glock or XD afterwards they just seem so WIDE and top heavy. I chose this gun because I'm not able to get a concealed carry license for another 2 years, and it just felt right. I shot a glock 19 and 26 also by the way. Bought the sr9 without having shot it. I was ecstatic after the first shot.

Had I been eligible for the concealed carry license, I was looking at the Ruger LCP. I don't wanna hear anything about 380 auto. It is a fine personal defense caliber. If you disagree why don't you volunteer to take a shot and see what it does?

Also, has anyone seen Rugers LCR? 1st polymer revolver. I like the way it looks for sure.

Last edited by je2000; 02-25-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Had I been eligible for the concealed carry license, I was looking at the Ruger LCP. I don't wanna hear anything about 380 auto. It is a fine personal defense caliber. If you disagree why don't you volunteer to take a shot and see what it does?
.380's have their place. That does not include primary defensive weapon. They are known as back ups for a reason.

If you review actual (and factual) shooting statistics, you will find a lot of rounds are not effective "one shot stops". I'll leave lethality alone since we are talking about defensive use but, the 22lr statistics are worth looking at in comparison to things like 357 Magnums.

Quick Reply: Weapon experts