Weapon experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
Wen to my cpl class got her cert going tmmorrow to local sheriff to send it in should have it in 3-4 months. Will be gun shopping till I get it.
I just took my CCH (concealed carry handgun) class this weekend and managed to score 100% on both the shooting and the written. I can't say either was too difficult, though. Even so, I did learn some things I didn't know and I'm glad I took it. It behooves anyone to know the law w/regard to self defense, what actually constitutes self defense vs manslaughter, knowing where you can and can't legally carry (just because you have a CCH permit, doesn't mean you can carry anywhere you want), and obviously being able to safely handle and fire your gun and hit the target is a must. So, anyone considering carrying or even just having a gun for self defense in your home even if you never plan to carry it outside your home, should definitely take the class. Each state is different for what they require, but a lot of states are pretty similar, I think NC is fairly typical.

As for gun, I like my trusty old early model Glock 17, 9mm. It's tough as nails, reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. I bought mine new a long time ago and I have put thousands of rounds through it. I used to shoot a lot many years ago, reloaded my own ammunition, etc, but haven't shot it in over 12 years, not counting the 50 rounds I shot for my test this morning. I'm a little surprised I shot 100% on the test, though, I was actually a little concerned about whether I could still hit the target. If I do carry, I will certainly keep current with it, and get some frequent range time to stay fresh. While I may not ever carry, it's nice having the option to do so if I feel the need.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Job NB!! The Glock is a fine firearm, no doubt. It you are in the market for something else Taurus has a new .45 cal out called tyhe millennium. Very small for a 45. The flat stack mag holds 11 rounds making it thin in the grip.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Sigs are sweet but I can't shoot worth a rats with them.I carry a Glock 9mm.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I shot 100% on the test
Have to start calling you Quigley.
________
HALFBAKED

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Have to start calling you Quigley.
Ha ha, had to Google that, looks good, might have to rent it sometime.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
Good Job NB!! The Glock is a fine firearm, no doubt. It you are in the market for something else Taurus has a new .45 cal out called tyhe millennium. Very small for a 45. The flat stack mag holds 11 rounds making it thin in the grip.
Thanks looks like a neat gun, thanks for the pointer. I'm not in the market right now, but that might change if the bug bites me, you know how that is.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Ha ha, had to Google that, looks good, might have to rent it sometime.
damn straight.... shoots up to 3/4 of a mile with a 45-110 loaded with a 540 grain bullet with peep sights. He can hold a 2" grouping at 900 yards.
________
Box Vaporizers

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I just picked up a Springfield Armory XD Compact 9mm. I too was purchasing for personal protection and for some recreational shooting. This is a great pistol with only a 3" barrel it is very compact and easily concealed yet suprisingly accurate for a gun with sch a short barrel. It is extremely user friendly and has a lot of great safety features. If you havnt purchased your gun yet I would highly reccomend checking out the XD. It is offered in a ton of different variations and calibers. They also offer extended magazines that incorporate a handle extension to give you a few more rounds!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I ride with my CZ-52 when I play in the woods,you never know what you'll run across

Old 03-09-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the rifles that the Narco-thugs are using are full auto/semi select fire. Meaning they are already illegal in the US. These guys are professional smugglers with a lot of money. Why mess around buying US prices on semi auto rifles, when they could easily import full auto for a lot less than what we, the common law abiding US citizens pay.

Those guys aren't paying $750 for a semi-auto AK47, I'll tell you that right now.

I'm not seeing the logic that banning these rifles will help stop the drug violence in Mexico. I think the AWB was proven to not really do much at all. Armed crime has dropped since it expired too...And no I can't provide a source.

Quick Reply: Weapon experts