Water Injestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Ol Guy we need to get another ride going, I'm thinking Reiter over by Gold Bar.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
Are you then capping off the lines that go under the bike.

I geuss that makes sense. The water was definitely deep enough to suck water into the carb vent lines. i will have check it out.

Are the vent lines there to suck in air or dump fuel?

No don't cap them off, the whole theory works on the fact that if fuel spills out, it can still get out, but if the water covers the tubes below the bike, then the tubes that need air can still get it from the upper tubes from the T-mod. Its like a back up plan.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the first time I have thought of this, but why would a vent tube be sucking, and if it is, why with enough pressure to suck up water? None of those lines are filtered between the outside and the inside of the motor. Why would they design the bike like that? I can understand the pressure going up and down in the crankcase from the movement of the piston, but pretty sure any pressure that escapes goes right to the clean air side of the airbox. Hmmmmmm What am I missing?

Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

My understanding is those lines are a fuel vent for the carb. Nothing to do with the crank case. I thought they were to relieve fuel over flow. I did not think they was vacumn. If there is vacumn in them and they went under water then it would be an issue for sure.

It does seem like the crankcase vent is not big enough though because it is pushing oil out past the oil fill cap.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

One of them is a vacuum tube, I actually watched water climb up one before.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Deej,

I would say that is probably how i got water in the crankcase then because they were definetly under water as the rear brake lever had to be under water because my feet got soaked.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to TJ...

But if I do the crankcase breather mod, you're saying I won't get oil blowing out of my cam-cover gasket and the oil fill-cap? That might be my incentive for an otherwise trivial mod...

And if you're taking your KLX in water that deep, you need to sell it and invest in a submarine, sheesh!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

It won't be entering through the carb plumbing.
If water is sucked into the motor that way, it may enter the combustion chamber causing the bike not to run or worse, hydraulic lock.
But it could only get into the crank via passing the rings or through a blown valve seal.

It almost certainly has been sucked in through the crank case breather.

I have mine routed to the air box in the normal way.
All I did was remove the restrictor.
So I'm "waterproof" until it gets to the top of the air box.

But it still could be a problem for me as I run no air box lid.
If water pours in the top of my air box, i'm stuffed.

If you hit deep water with a modded air box, kill the motor real quick and push it out.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I once did this to my bike and it stalled lol.. Although in the pic, the carb breather lines are over the water, I went to the point where it stalled with them in the normal position lol.. But it fired up pretty quickly..

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you won't suck water into your carb via the vent line. What the water will do is block air to your diaphram and bowl, so you can't draw any fuel from the bowl and the diaphram won't raise the slide when you open the throttle buttefly. The engine will quit in a hurry with both vents blocked.

Injesting water into the carb is a totally seperate issue...I.E. motorcycle tries to be a submarine.

Quick Reply: Water Injestion