Water Injestion

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Water Injestion

Went out yesterday and man was it wet. Went through a water hole on the way out and had no issues. On the way home I had to go through it again. I took it slow and the water seemed to not be deep enough to suck water in through the snorkle because it was barely over the top of my work boots, and the water never came over the seat.

Then the bike sputtered and died as soon as I got out of the hole. It took about 15 minutes to get it started. I was probably 15 miles from home.

Luckily I was on my way home when it died. When I got back to the house I checked the oil level and it was over the viewing glass and you could see water on top of the oil when you leaned it on the kickstand.

I dont get it. this is second time I had gotten water in the crankcase. The first time, the mud was deep and it may have legitimately sucked in some water. Yesterday the water was probably deep enough to touch the bottom of the air box but it was definitely not deep enough to get into the snorkle.

I put a pumper carb on the bike. I am wondering if it got sucked in though the hose between the carb and the air box/cyclinder intake.

Outside of draining the water out of it and letting it dry inside and changing the filter/oil should I do anything else? I will check the air filter sometime this week and see if it is dirty or shows any signs of mud in it.

Last edited by buffalony; 10-27-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually, The oil would be on top of the water. My guess is that one of the mods is to blame. I would recommend getting the air box waterproof again or stay out of deep water. The front tire will shoot gallons of water up in the worst possible area.. JMO Good luck

Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem you have so I know the frustration. All the bikes I ride with plow through some water and my bike somhow sucks up water when it seems like it came nowhere close to the airbox right?

I rerouted the crankcase line above the airbox and under the seat and plugged the hole in the airbox where it used to come out of. This solved the problem for me. Depending on where your vent hoses for your carb are you may also want to shorten or "t" them.

Do a search on rerouting the crankcase line and the "t" mod for your carb vent lines. Both should help a ton.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks,

I noticed a couple weaks ago it seems to now seep oil out the fill plug.. It is like there is to much pressure building in the crankcase and it is forcing small levels of oil out the fill hole.

I just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. It has rained like crazy here in Buffalo thos summer so as much I try to stay out of the water and mud, I only have to options.

Option 1 play in the mud
Option 2 ride on the street
option 3 dont ride at all.

I geuss if i wanted to ride on the street I would have bought a "street bike"

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony

I geuss if i wanted to ride on the street I would have bought a "street bike"

+1,,,,, I hope you get it all straightend out

Old 10-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Carb tube T-mod. A couple of us did this before a wet and wild ride two years ago, glad we did. Any hose hanging down that can potentially pull water needs to have the T-mod added to it. However if you turn your bike into a submarine, nothing will keep water out of the box. Just ask Tony....Right Tony?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

This is from Dirt Surfer

go from this:
Name:  Davebikepictures035.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  62.6 KB

To this:
Name:  Davebikepictures036.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  55.1 KB

Old 10-27-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Then just run the other lines up to the top of the airbox.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you then capping off the lines that go under the bike.

I geuss that makes sense. The water was definitely deep enough to suck water into the carb vent lines. i will have check it out.

Are the vent lines there to suck in air or dump fuel?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The lines will still be open at the bottom, the high lines break the vacuum if the low lines go under water.

Quick Reply: Water Injestion