Watch out Chad Reed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Watch out Chad Reed!

you continue to say misinformation. what exactly was incorrect about what he wrote?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I found this cool link while searching the forums, give a good visual idea of where the suspension adjustment is located.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H4S0...ted&search=

Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

What kind of results have people had with heavier oil, say 10W? I am wondering if it still lets the fork perform, or if that is too thick for the stock set-up. Also even though I don't bottom the rear, I was wondering if using a klx300 rear or moto-prorearspring will get me more oomph when I seat bounce the 250?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
man i was riding up a traill that had water stops in it every 50' or so, make nice jumps, but the klx springs were yellin at me.... man i need heavier ones......[>:]
You still got the stock springs bro..... make your wife buy a new set for you because you gave her the child she always dreamed about..... Better get em quick before all those bills start rolling in ...... have you started painting the baby room yet...lol

yea...... i just forked out 300$ on stator and regulator for the honda.....[>:] yea getting lots done around the house that have been needing done for awhile.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

Well stay away from the cake...ems has not weighed 140 since probably 7th grade.
thats probably pretty close..... when i graduated high school i was 180lbs .... lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Give it a try and report the results. 'Enquiring minds want to know'

If you go to the moto-pro website, they have a handy little spring rate calculator under the 'my bike' tab at the top of the page. Just enter the year, make, model, riding weight and riding style using the flip-downs.If your weight is 170-195 pounds the rear shock spring should be OK. I entered my riding wieght (150) and the calculatoractuallyrecommended a SOFTER rear spring rate, but recommendmore firmfork springs.

The forks springs on this bike are far too soft for almost any riding weight. In fact, I progressively decreased the rider weight and found-out you would have to weigh 107 pounds for the stock spring rate to be firm enough. [8D]

One of our forum regulars uncovered another issue with the stock supsension while doing some pretty heavy duty enduro riding in Thailand. He said it got to bouncing a lot in the real choppy stuff and he couldn't alleviate that with any amount of adjusting. His friend's XR did just fine on the same surface. What would most likely fix that problem is a re-valve. Here are the 'utramax' valves offered by moto-pro. They have much better flow than the stock units, which allows them to react much faster tocontinously choppy surfaces such as a dirt roads and trailsfull of bigpot holes. They are also much lighter the the stock valves which reduces the moving mass.

Aren't they perty! I'll be installing some tailored for motard in a month or so...along with the firmer fork springs, of course.

UMAX Forks valves:

UMAX Rear Shock Valve:

ORIGINAL: 249CCsOfFury

What kind of results have people had with heavier oil, say 10W? I am wondering if it still lets the fork perform, or if that is too thick for the stock set-up. Also even though I don't bottom the rear, I was wondering if using a klx300 rear or moto-prorearspring will get me more oomph when I seat bounce the 250?