Watch out Chad Reed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Watch out Chad Reed!

I don't want to sound like your parents - but get some farkin safety gear!!!!!

At the minimum: Boots, knee pads

Nice - roost deflector, elbow pads too

Seriously.. My friend has been off his bike for three weeks now following a tumble in the woods with no knee pads on. He has a half-dollar sized hole in his knee now. Few shots of morphine, stiches, and vicodens, and he's walking again, but won't be riding for another couple weeks.

Another friend was wearing work boots while riding. His toe caught a rock, and since he was moving forward, his foot bent in half as the peg kept pushing, but the rock was pulling.

He was in a wheelchair for about six months -
some pics

Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the input guys! I would like to try adjusting the stock stuff, but unfortunately my bike didn't come with a manual, any tips? Maybe it would be alright until I can fork(no pun intended)out the cash for parts. My biggest problem was that if I landed on the front end hard at all it would bottom or nearly bottom out the front fork, maybe I could get by with just a set of progressive-wound springs and different weight oil.. anyone know a good site for just a set of springs? I never had a problem with the back spring, and I don't plan on being Mr. Moto so maybe an entire package is overkill.. being 140lbs wet helps! Scary stuff CousinLarry! I was thinking the same thing when I was on the track, I don't have nearly enough gear! I figured the POS steeltoes I was wearing would help a little, but reading about your friend makes me want to buy some good boots, maybe a foam neck colar and an impact rig too...Stuff is sooo expensive it's gotta be good, right?More pics soon Deej, my friend took all the photos and he hasn't sent them to me yet... maybe I'll sneek of to the track again for some fresh ones! Sorry for the long post but keep all the info coming guys, I need all the help I can get!

Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

as far as the suspension goes......... set your rear sag to about 4 inches. on your rear shock there is a bottle looking thing. it has a slotted head with an"h" and "s". to stiffen up your compression add a couple clicks in the direction of the "h".leave the rebound alone for now it's probably set pretty good. on the bottom of your forks there are rubbers stoppers. take those out with a small screw driver. count the clicks as you turn them all the way in. do that for both legs. now you have the stock setting. say it was 16 and it was too soft. count out say 12 or 11 or 13. do that for both legs. go for a test ride to see how it feels. if it's still too soft drop down to 10 or 9. if it's too hard go out to 14 or 15. at this point your dialing in your suspension. there is no such thing as a standard setting that works for every bike.it's all trial and error. you need to find what works the best for you. it works better if you go for your test rideon the same exact loop. that way you can see how the bike reacts to the same bumps,rocks,androots at the different settings. also it's best to get your sag right and then work on one aspect of the suspension at a time. it's a lot more comlicated than that but this should get you going.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good information, Craig.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525
man i was riding up a traill that had water stops in it every 50' or so, make nice jumps, but the klx springs were yellin at me.... man i need heavier ones......[>:]
You still got the stock springs bro..... make your wife buy a new set for you because you gave her the child she always dreamed about..... Better get em quick before all those bills start rolling in ...... have you started painting the baby room yet...lol

Old 06-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

he said he weighs in at 140lbs. the stock suspension more than support his weight if he can only dial them in. anything aftermarket with his weight is a true waste of money. thicker oil up front with the stock springs dialed in will be perfect. the rear, well, don't worry about it if it ain't bottoming. you aren't Jimmy Button or Jeff Emig. Yeah, two of my faves.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

he said he weighs in at 140lbs. the stock suspension more than support his weight if he can only dial them in. anything aftermarket with his weight is a true waste of money. thicker oil up front with the stock springs dialed in will be perfect. the rear, well, don't worry about it if it ain't bottoming. you aren't Jimmy Button or Jeff Emig. Yeah, two of my faves.
Who are you talking too....have you been drinking..lol

Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

Who are you talking too....have you been drinking..lol

you. yeah, I've had too much birthday cake. what's up finger?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Well stay away from the cake...ems has not weighed 140 since probably 7th grade.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 249CCsOfFury

Thanks for all the input guys! I would like to try adjusting the stock stuff, but unfortunately my bike didn't come with a manual, any tips? Maybe it would be alright until I can fork(no pun intended)out the cash for parts. My biggest problem was that if I landed on the front end hard at all it would bottom or nearly bottom out the front fork, maybe I could get by with just a set of progressive-wound springs and different weight oil.. anyone know a good site for just a set of springs? I never had a problem with the back spring, and I don't plan on being Mr. Moto so maybe an entire package is overkill.. being 140lbs wet helps! Scary stuff CousinLarry! I was thinking the same thing when I was on the track, I don't have nearly enough gear! I figured the POS steeltoes I was wearing would help a little, but reading about your friend makes me want to buy some good boots, maybe a foam neck colar and an impact rig too...Stuff is sooo expensive it's gotta be good, right?More pics soon Deej, my friend took all the photos and he hasn't sent them to me yet... maybe I'll sneek of to the track again for some fresh ones! Sorry for the long post but keep all the info coming guys, I need all the help I can get!
nah finger, this guy says he weighs 140. who knows, eric may weigh 140 now that we know what he has been up to. a pregnant wife tells the whole story. j/k eric.
eric, (ems) is probably one of the best guys on here and I've always gotten along with him. I think he knows I just like to blow alot.
but I can't stand misinformation which the guy in the other thread is inundated with.

Quick Reply: Watch out Chad Reed!