Watch out Chad Reed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Watch out Chad Reed!

Got to play on a moto track for the first time ever today, all I can say is it is the only way to fly! I had a blast riding with a friend who brought his 400EX out, but I realize now how badly I need to get the suspension dialed. I found an earlier post that said moto-pro is the best company to deal with.. custom klx springs.. I was wondering what everyone who has their products feels about them.. is the motocross set-up too stiff for trail riding? I spend most of my time on trails, but would like to be able to hit the track without bottoming out the front fork, would the enduro set-up be a better all around choice? Any help would be much appreciated! Here's a pic of me airing it out over a big tabletop, I had the biggest dirt-filled smile on my face!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Watch out Chad Reed!

moto-pro is a vey good company to deal with. that guy know's his stuff. you need to talk to him so that he can figure out what the best settings are for you.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

More pics, more pics!

Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

you don't look very big, have you tried dialing in the stock suspenders? look into it before you spend big bucks on suspension that everyone overemphasizes. remember, the KLX is a trailbike, not a MX bike. The suspension technology is somewhere around 1990 or so MX bike-wise. If you're over 175lbs. or so you may need some stiffer springs, but unless you ride hard all the time, you're wasting your money on aftermarket stuff. Use the manual to set up your stock suspension and you'll probably be good to go. Lots of people get sucked into suspension mods from others telling them they need them. Most on here don't need the mods unless they're 200lbs. and riding it hard all the time. Just my opinion.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 249CCsOfFury

Got to play on a moto track for the first time ever today, all I can say is it is the only way to fly! I had a blast riding with a friend who brought his 400EX out, but I realize now how badly I need to get the suspension dialed. I found an earlier post that said moto-pro is the best company to deal with.. custom klx springs.. I was wondering what everyone who has their products feels about them.. is the motocross set-up too stiff for trail riding? I spend most of my time on trails, but would like to be able to hit the track without bottoming out the front fork, would the enduro set-up be a better all around choice? Any help would be much appreciated! Here's a pic of me airing it out over a big tabletop, I had the biggest dirt-filled smile on my face!
Suspension is the key, just doing the springs on mine made a huge difference, never mind the valve kits and such....my springs were cheap $110 or so front, and $80 rear I think, but asking for the best....I'll just give you a bump.

Oh and I only weigh 170 and really needed the front springs, rear I could have gotten by with stock but why?

Post what ya pic and decide to do .... with results of course.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

key word regarding my post was "hard". if you ride hard, you more than likely will need stiffer front springs. I weigh in around 150 and I constantly bottomed my '06 up front. the '06/'07 KLX has very soft front springs. the '09 is stiffer and I have yet to bottom it out yet, it's set at around 3/4 of it's maximum stiffness up front. If you have read the tests of the '09, every one comments how the suspension worked surprisingly well for what they threw at it. maybe a set of '09 springs would solve your woes. they're probably cheaper than aftermarket. aftermarket suspension parts are through the roof $simply because people who sell them know that people will buy them simply because they think it makes them a better rider. it's all in their heads most of the time and thus why I believe that unless you're a professional or on the heavy side, you're wasting your time with them.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Look, I'm a light weight. I weigh all of 150lbs wearing all of my gear and a with six pack on the back.That said, the stock fork springs are still too soft for my weight.

Give theguy at moto-pro phone call and tell him what type of riding you do. He really knows his stuff.Manypeople rank suspension as one of the best mods they made to theKLX.
.......or you could just listen to certain people jabber away in high diction in an attempt to sound knowledgeable....your choice.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Look, I'm a light weight. I weigh all of 150lbs wearing all of my gear and a with six pack on the back.That said, the stock fork springs are still too soft for my weight.

Give theguy at moto-pro phone call and tell him what type of riding you do. He really knows his stuff.Manypeople rank suspension as one of the best mods they made to theKLX.
.......or you could just listen to certain people jabber away in high diction in an attempt to sound knowledgeable....your choice.

LOL, yeah those highway joints really do a number on your fork springs eh? ygbkm, but thanks for reiterating what I just stated there tremor. another brilliant brilliant post by you; minus your second paragraph, that's where it fell apart for you. the "many" you refer to I assume are in the over 200# class with KLX's- the people I already said would need heavier duty springs. You're always just a slight, faint echo of what I've already said.
but hey, I've got strong shoulders for ya.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

man i was riding up a traill that had water stops in it every 50' or so, make nice jumps, but the klx springs were yellin at me.... man i need heavier ones......[>:]

Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 160 and the front springs are too soft for me. I ride enduro trails in the pines where it's not unusual to get a 1/2 mile of whoops that you can get lost in. In the pits, the jumps are too hard on the front end. I've dialed mine in every which way from Tuesday and it doesn't matter.

You can't ride fast, if your bike doesn't handle. Dialing in the suspension is the first thing you do, before anything else. You can have all the high performance aftermarket valves, exhaust, cams, etc... but if it doesn't handle, what are you going to do with all that extra power? If it doesn't feel right, do something about it.

My (minor) street experience is that potholes are rough and stopping hard makes the front end dive.

Quick Reply: Watch out Chad Reed!