Want to go more street, don't kill me, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Want to go more street, don't kill me, ideas?

Long time, no post. And no I am not IG. It's been awhile since I have posted but since the last post my 07KLX250 has gotten the exhaust mod with smog crap removed and a BIG GUN EVO put on. The carb has been tuned up with help of my buddy. You'll never guess what we found inside my carb. The shop had clipped the inner spring in half and left the left over piece inside the carb, not joking. NEVER GO TO PLAZA CYCLE IN SALT LAKE CITY. Anwya, now I am loving my machine, it rips and is loud, which I don't mind. Anywho, I am using this bike mostly for the interstate commute and I want to be able to go faster. I max out at around 85 MPH. What should I do? Suggestions anyone. I do need to get more of a street tire, maybe 80/20 or 90/10. But I was also thinking that a sprocket change was in need. But I forget, do I want a larger back or front. Or is it a smaller front. Oh who knows. Anyinput woud be appreciated. And I apologize for asking a question that has been asked before, I am too lazy to search, there I confess. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just messing man.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and P.S. 85 is way fast enough on this bike, any faster and your gonna flap in the wind and get blown off the road. I think you might need a second bike. KLR 650? Versys? Dare I say.........ninja?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, top speed is basically limited by HP. YOu could put bigger gears on the bike, and might gain a few MPH.. Get your engine back into its power band. Ultimately though, unless you ride in a tuck position, you are gonna want to look for more HP. Go big bore. Slicks will smooth out your ride alot. Find the video of the WR250 with the turbo, get one! 85 should be enough.. Sell it and get a NINJA2506007501000 etc..

~Steve

Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Where in SLC are you? Your riding season is barely 4 months, don't kill yourself trying to keep up with the idiots on the 215/15. If you do a gearing change your not going to get the results your looking for with only the 250 CC. Good tires to run are the Avon Distazias. One of the members here is running them, I just emailed him and will post the correct sizes when he gets back with me. What is your budget anyway?

Last edited by Xplosivo1; 05-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej is that the Indian guy from those 70s commercials? LMFAO

This bike wasn't made to do 85, much less any faster. Trade it in and get a street bike.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep that's him....... Remember those? Brutal, almost as bad as the Sarah McLaughlin song "In The Arms Of An Angel" when they are showing all the dogs and cats that have one eye or are forgotten...........dang! I have to turn that commercial every time. Brutal......I gotta go, I just got something in my eyes.

Here it is, and I dare anyone to watch it and not get all choked up. Why is it I feel more sorry for animals than I do people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gspElv1yvc

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Where in SLC? The east side by the mouth of Parley's. I guess you guys are right about going faster than 85, although today I hit 90 with a tailwind. At least that's what my speedometer said. I suppose getting a bigger bike might be better or something more for the street like a ninja. But I just want a little more. Maybe smoother tires, the AVON's, were mentioned will help a smidgen. My budget is unknown, basically whatever my wife will let me spend, that's if she finds out. And was it a bigger front spocket or rear that may get me back in the power band? Anyway, thanks for the recommendations thus far.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yep that's him....... Remember those? Brutal, almost as bad as the Sarah McLaughlin song "In The Arms Of An Angel" when they are showing all the dogs and cats that have one eye or are forgotten...........dang! I have to turn that commercial every time. Brutal......I gotta go, I just got something in my eyes.

Here it is, and I dare anyone to watch it and not get all choked up. Why is it I feel more sorry for animals than I do people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gspElv1yvc

UGH I'm the same way... it always makes my allergies act up... so sad... and I'm with you, I think I have more compassion for animals than humans alot of the time.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I feel where you are going, kinda, I dont feel comfortable going much faster than 80 and if its windy thats pushing it. Out of the 5500 miles probably 5200 on my bike are street. I tried Bridgestone Trailwings (Deathwings!) and they sucked, too hard and slid too easy. I put on some Kenda 761s a month ago and I am in love! Very sticky, very smooth, balanced well.... then again you could always put on some 17s, do some lower springs and regear. Go for stability man, not top speed on this bike, youll live longer

Quick Reply: Want to go more street, don't kill me, ideas?