Very tight intake valves

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
OK, I just had mine done...wish I did them with someone that knew what they were doing...but I thought if something were really wrong, better for the shop to see it first...shop said the intake was on the tight side but well within spec...the exhaust was at the max...tried to get more details but the guy seems to be a drunk and couldn't remember...arg.
So how long do I wait for the next check? When it's hard to start?
And what happens once the minimum clearance is reached? Do you then replace the whole top end? Just curious, not really worried.
My only problems with this bike have been clogged jets...and repeatedly...time for an in-line fuel filter(already did the t-vent mod, which helped the off-road water uptake issues I had).
The answer as to what ultimately happens when clearance max's out is usually that the valve has mushroomed. I haven't worn out mine personally, but I've seen some decent reports from others who have. Most of those cases I've read reported that the valve kind of gets "beaten out" against the seat and deforms in a mushroom kind of shape. In this case the seat is harder than the valve, and the valve wears before the seat. Seats can also wear out, but in many cases it's the valves that are the wear items. Valves can be replaced and surprisingly even seats.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC.
Can't imagine getting to that point, but as much as I love this bike, I guess I will at some point...hopefully not until I'm one with all the mechanical workings of the bike (my non-running KLX650 might be a good pre-schooling in that area ).

Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are some intakes I just pulled out of a 2003 Suzuki Carry minitruck w/ 30k on it. Same thing, could not get a .002 gauge in them a year ago. Reshimmed to the thinnest shim they made (got .010 clearance) and a year later truck wouldn't start again. It got new valves this time. I think they got a batch of soft valves.

Name:  4-23-12054b.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  103.4 KB

Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TNC
On bucket/shim and some other valve train designs the valves moving up into the head due to normal wear is where the decreasing clearance is faster than the wear of the other valve train parts. On many rocker arm, pushrod, and other systems, the valvetrain components can wear faster thereby increasing clearance faster than the valves wearing into the valve seats. There are all kinds of variables here, but in the case of our KLX and many other engines, the valves wearing into the head decrease clearance, and the adjustment is to increase clearance with smaller shims. When the valve clearance becomes too small, the stroke of the engine doesn't produce enough vaccum to draw enough fuel and the compression stroke can be diminished enough to lower combustion threshold. At least in my pea brain that's the overall gist of it.
Great explanation, makes sense.

thanks
Chris

Old 10-03-2012, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Got them done last night. Bike runs great, want to say it runs better then when I got it new. Now I need to get my two cracks in my FMF exhaust welded.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

nice...that's how it felt after my valve adjustment...the klx fired up the moment i touched the starter button...

Originally Posted by cegusman
Got them done last night. Bike runs great, want to say it runs better then when I got it new. Now I need to get my two cracks in my FMF exhaust welded.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM
red
1st Gear Member

need to do this to mine as well. Does anybody sell a shim kit besides the dealer?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red
need to do this to mine as well. Does anybody sell a shim kit besides the dealer?
As far as the need to buy a complete shim kit...kind of expensive...many dealers will just let you swap shims in their existing stock. No shop I know of throws away shims, so the shims are reused over and over, which is just fine due to their location under the bucket. It's a customer service that most good shops will provide.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:13 PM

I've seen a ton on eBay. Just do a search for "7.48 shim" or "7.48mm shim" and a bunch come up. I just have to figure out which sizes I'll need now.

Chris

Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

think it's a waste to buy an entire set of shims...i found other alternatives...i found shops that have exchange programs, but only if you rent a work station for $25 that provides every tools you'll need to work on a motorcycle...local dealer wanted $3 to $5 per shim depending on the shim i needed....

Quick Reply: Very tight intake valves