Vehicle change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Vehicle change

ORIGINAL: KLXer

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy.
the F150 is probably the best built vehicle coming out of any plant in the USA. They're safer than a tank in a crash and offer any convenience you could ever imagine.
[sm=sigh.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=lame.gif]
what's your problem klxer? you wanting to start something again? I thought we were on an even keel? If you wanna go, I'll go. Just give me a reason. If it's my statement here that bothers you, check it out....it's the truth. Yeah, I'd rather have a new Sierra Z71 ext .cab now, but the Ford's are awesome trucks too. Anyone who says they're not just because they like another brand is foolish and naive. Ford is first in everything and everyone else just soon follows. Are they the best? no, but they are revolutionary. They were the first to move the rear shocks to the outside of the frame, now look at Toyota doing the same and maybe GM, not sure on them though. It smoothes out the ride and now everyone will be copying them.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

it's torque in the HD trucks. I think the new Super-Duty has everyone beat with torque and tow ratings currently. they all could pull a darn barge though, jeez. the GMC's are a little more "upscale" than the Chevy's, like Mercury/Ford or Dodge/Plymouth. Like I said though, I'd take either one of the two. I like the Z71 1500, I don't need a HD truck or any truck right now for that matter.

Not so.

The 2008 GM/Duramax 6.6L has 365hp and 660lb/ft of torque.
The 2008 Ford/Power Stroke 6.4L has 350hp and 650lb/ft.

Ford does claim the highest tow capacity but there are no regulations in place to limit a manufacturer’s claim.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that more power and an Allison 6-speed isn’t going to be bested by the Ford no matter how conservative GM’s ratings are.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM

just because one has 10 more lb/ft. of torque means jack. Lots of other things come into play when comparing each one's towing capabilities like axle strength, axle ratios, overall driveline durability like thickness of driveshafts, tires, frame strength, braking, etc. For my money, I'd take the ford since they still offer a solid front axle up front.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: KLXer

[blockquote]quote:

the F150 is probably the best built vehicle coming out of any plant in the USA. They're safer than a tank in a crash and offer any convenience you could ever imagine.
[/blockquote]

[sm=sigh.gif][sm=shutup.gif][sm=lame.gif]
[/blockquote]

what's your problem klxer? you wanting to start something again? I thought we were on an even keel? If you wanna go, I'll go. Just give me a reason. If it's my statement here that bothers you, check it out....it's the truth. Yeah, I'd rather have a new Sierra Z71 ext .cab now, but the Ford's are awesome trucks too. Anyone who says they're not just because they like another brand is foolish and naive. Ford is first in everything and everyone else just soon follows. Are they the best? no, but they are revolutionary. They were the first to move the rear shocks to the outside of the frame, now look at Toyota doing the same and maybe GM, not sure on them though. It smoothes out the ride and now everyone will be copying them.

Hmm, let's see. Let's try this.....

Diet Cokeis probably the bestsoda coming out of any plant in the USA.It's bubblier than a white house intern during the Clinton administrationandit's tastier thanyou could ever imagine.

If it's my statement here that bothers you, check it out....it's the truth. Yeah, I'd rather have a newCoke Zero now, butDiet Cokeis anawesomedrink too. Anyone who saysit isnot just because they like another brand is foolish and naive.Coke is first in everything and everyone else just soon follows. Are they the best? no, but they are revolutionary. They were the first to put cherry in cola, now look at Mountain Dewdoing the same and maybe Pepsi, not sure on them though. Itis fruityand now everyone will be copying them.

I think that about sums it up.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

just because one has 10 more lb/ft. of torque means jack. Lots of other things come into play when comparing each one's towing capabilities like axle strength, axle ratios, overall driveline durability like thickness of driveshafts, tires, frame strength, braking, etc. For my money, I'd take the ford since they still offer a solid front axle up front.

Oh OK, I could have sworn you said the Ford had more “torque”.

And what are the differences between all these items on the Ford and GM?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Oh OK, I could have sworn you said the Ford had more “torque”.

And what are the differences between all these items on the Ford and GM?
no, reread. i said I think. but 10lbs of torque doesn't mean anything. as far as the other components, look into it yourself. the ford still offers a solid axle up front, the GM HD trucks have IFS. The Dodge for reference has solid axlesas well and if you travel the interstates, it's the Dodges that are pulling the majority of trailers. The cummins is very underrated and I'd bet it can outpull all other trucks, even the new SD. Look, I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest about trucks that none of us can afford, I'm just looking into what I see as happening and then writing it. I looked at a SD a week ago when perusing the lots cuz my dad likes them, it stickered for $59K, that's outrageous.

KLX'er- that made no sense. I talked facts, you're talking preference. You can do better than that can't you? BTW, coke does rule.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok please guys lets not kill my hard on for getting a new vehicle here, because this is what its about. I can put a couple statements to bed though.

Heres my experience, I'm not expert but I do know quite a bit, not in numbers and whats on paper but what i've been driving, and who i know have been driving.

My in laws run a used truck wholesale. They have every light pickup you could imagine there, or have had it. Its there or been there. So the handy thing with that is every camping trip or every need for a truck, its there. We always try different stuff because we can. I'll just comment on some of the issues mentioned.

Towing: The dodge does not out perform the GM. We tested this theory. Twice. We had a trailer full of quads and towed it camping several times. The Dodge did very well and was not underpowered by anymeans, but the GM (it was a silverado 2500) just did better, better milage too.

Dependancy: My uncle also worked at a ford dealership, so my parents always had a ford truck at some time. I think they all broke. I've also seen more guys have to get towed to town who drive fords out in the oil patch. Its just what I've seen.

Anyway i'm bored of this already. You can't make statements that somethings the best and expect people to swallow it. Paper means nothing because its real life that matters. If you've owned 4 fords and they all busted bad, then yeah you get to say ford sucks, and no one really gets to argue with you because that hasnt happened.

Get it?

Now back to my drooling over my new truck [sm=yeahsmile.gif][sm=partyparty.gif][sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 10-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, even though we all have opinions, lets not kill stellars next ride!
Although! I have 3 fords and only one GMC. The jimmy is a '69 and a good hauler as well. Crappy mileage though.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Ford 3 valve engine = crap. Lots of power, but they are having major problems wih the cam phaser sprockets coming apart (they are hydraulic, and advance/retard the exhaust cam). Also, the pressed in tubes for the spark plug holes in the heads come out any leak coolant into the cylinders. Also, the newly designed spark plugs specific to the 3 valve ford engines get carboned up and seize in the heads (destroying the head, IF you get it out). The transmissions in the 2004 and up F150's is a 4R75W, basically a slightly beefed up Grand Marquis transmision. I have rebuilt/ replaced over 15 of them so far for having the overdrive burned up, forward clutch fried, and exploded torque convertors. The only thing good in the new F150's is the rear end! Just to let ya'll know where I'm coming from, I work for a Ford/Lincol/Mercury dealership. The older F150' up to 2003 had the big heavy duty 4R100's in them, which is what the super duty's were getting at the time. Just my opinion from personnal experience.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the comfy feeling there zap. (06 excursion) Any knowns on this?

Quick Reply: Vehicle change