Valve noise, adjustment, cam chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

How about a ktm 440exc street legal two stroke in killer shape with lots of extras for $1,900.
DEAL !! Where do I sign ??

Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
I know, and there are some great deals on used bikes out there...people can't seem to give them away.

How about a ktm 440exc street legal two stroke in killer shape with lots of extras for $1,900.

I bet there would be no complaining about power with this beast.

link to ad

Or if ya are too old for sumthin like that now

Pristine 03 KTM 200 exc ... with plate for $3,000

link:

WOW, those are some nice bikes. I could still handle the 440 no problem, but the looks of that 200 are oh so sweet!

Check out the home made end cap on the can of that 400 LOL

Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Like I said in another thread, it's just a bike, not like you're married to it or anything, just sell it, save up a few more $$ and buy a different one. No need to punish yourself if you're not happy with it, no one should do that.

There are some great deals on used bikes as FM pointed out. I know FM loves them 2-stroke KTMs and they are real sweet and you might like them a lot too coming from your CR250. Don't forget the KTM 4-strokes either though. The 450 XC-W always gets top marks in the off-road world. If you want a plate, the EXC like I have is the exact same bike, but has about 4 lbs of lights and emissions crap on it to make it street legal. The only difference are the carb jetting and the final drive sprockets. The advantage is plate of course, and 30 minutes of set up time will have it running very nicely for off-road work (jetting and sprockets). BTW, to change jets and needle on the KTM you DO NOT have to remove it, just loosen the clamps and rotate it, you can do all the jetting you need to, needle from above and jets from below, you just need to remove the seat and tank (3 bolts) to access it. And just to toss in, the valves are adjusted using screw and lock nut, just loosen the screw, lightly seat with the feeler gauge under it, then tighten the lock nut, slip out the feeler gauge, replace the valve cover cap and that's it. You do need to loosen the radiators to shove them aside while doing the exhaust valves, but its not a chore at all. Gotta do them pretty frequently, though, so it's good that they are easy to do.

There are plenty of used deals to be found. A buddy just bought an '04 450 EXC and is very happy with it. Another buddy is looking at an '02 400 EXC that looks real sweet. They last and last, don't be afraid to buy used. Lots of 2-strokes available as well, just look around, look on Craigslist. ADVRider is a good place, too. There are tons of them out there.

But I personally was pretty happy with my KLX, 331cc bored, and FCR35 pumper carb, springs set up for my weight. It was a fun bike. But I just happened to sit on one of the shiny KTM 525 EXCs at the dealer with that new bike smell, and the wife said "you should get it." How could I resist? I ended up deciding on the 450 because I thought it would be better for me in the tighter singletrack, though.

But whatever you do, no need to beat yourself up over it. Get what you want, it's silly to suffer through with a machine that you don't really like. This is supposed to be fun, after all. I was happy with my KLX, but it wasn't my last bike. I'm happy with my KTM and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last bike. If Husaberg makes their new FE450 street legal, that WILL be my next bike.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, your right... I think I'll start looking around. Not dead set on getting something..but definately keep my eyes open for good deals. If see I see something around here, I'll ****** it up.

We have the "Trader's Guide", its a free classified paper to sell everything and anything. Its pretty much the Holy Grail to sell bikes. I usually pick a copy up every week.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Then again, another friend just recently bought a KLX250S and he really likes it. This is a guy who has ridden everything, on and off-road. Just depends on what suits your style, really.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Then again, another friend just recently bought a KLX250S and he really likes it. This is a guy who has ridden everything, on and off-road. Just depends on what suits your style, really.
Yup, that's exactly it. Sure I would luv to have a street legal 300 smoker, but I couldn't do things on it like I can with the lil klx....like:

Hop on her and go to Miami at 6am on a Sat. morning to hook up with some adv'ers for a swamp ride.....it's a solid 60 minutes at 75-80 mph on I-95 ....that muzzy header sure does glow in the dark.. but that klx will runnnn just like the energizer bunny....lol.....I wouldn't do that consistently on any race ready bike....but the klx....sure wtf??!!

She wants it....she gets it.

Sure she is a pig compared to my friends smokers...but I can hang with them mostly on the klx and besides, I'm really not that much faster on the smokers when I ride them.....but my skillzzzz are improving.

She's a great lil gutless wonder....I like her.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
DEAL !! Where do I sign ??

I don't know Forty, wasn't it you that took a right hand sweeper wide on the klx and ended up in a ditch next to a bridge or sumthin.

If it wasn't you ... no worries...just havin fun on the net after a GREAT early morning sand dune ride.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, the performance is only secondary to the "WTF" Kawasaki designs that you have to go around all the time.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Screw the dirt, I want an 09 ZX-6R... but hey, that's just me... if I wouldn't get raked over the coals so bad on all the mods I've bought plus the loss in trade-in value, I'd be on a big boy Team Green machine.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
if I wouldn't get raked over the coals so bad on all the mods I've bought plus the loss in trade-in value, I'd be on a big boy Team Green machine.
roflmao....I bet I have wasted much more on mods than you.....I've had 3 long years to do them.

Quick Reply: Valve noise, adjustment, cam chain