Valve noise, adjustment, cam chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Also, to remove the seat, tank, tank shrouds, and side panels, its only 13 screws. Again, not that big of a deal.

The valve shims and auto chain adjuster are there to get the most mileage in between maintenance periods. And yes, the valve system is to allow the bike to rev higher. With such a small engine its a necessity. If it didn't rev as high as it does, or needed maintenance more often it would be a turd. To me its a perfect balance. But complaining about how difficult it is to perform maintenance is either due to laziness or inexperiance.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

You may be taking it a bit to the extreme, Jason.... its not an XR... it is what it is. I agree with Hancadam... if you hate it this much you shoulda done better research before pulling the trigger. There are a LOT of silly things with this bike but its a fair tradeoff for the pluses IMHO. I am a noobtard, I've only been riding for a little over 9 months now. Yes I desire more power on the street, but for my ability level, its perfect for the trails. Its not the best-designed bike in the history of mankind, but its the best, affordable option in the 250 dualsport class... Sorry, I'm a Yamaha hater... I'd not own a bike before I owned a Yamaha. The WR isn't 1000$ more bike than the KLX no matter how you slice it.

My dissatisfaction simply lies in the fact that I don't get to ride enough trails... which means I end up riding mostly street... which is where the bike is lacking IMHO. I'm hoping the hot, dry summer will allow me to ride alot more trails and I'll get over myself and be happy.

Back on topic: I just think that this maintenance job is a bit out of my reach... if my dad didn't feel comfortable doing it on HIS bike... and he's an old hand on motorcycles... then there's no freakin' way I wanna dive in to it with mine.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hancadam
Sounds like you simply did not know what you where buying. This bikes is built off an old MX design. The chain adjuster and valve shims are just like almost all other MX bikes made to this day. Maybe you should research what you buy before buying it.

Also, I think your blowing the valve adjusting way out of proportion. Its really not that hard if you have all the tools and know how to use them. Also, every dirtbike I have ever owned I had to pull the seat and tank to get the carb. If you want something really hard to work on get yourself a bike with a multi cylinder engine. Then you will get to jet several carbs then sync them. You will be dreaming of the good ole days with the KLX.
I came from a professional MX background, so I know all about 2 stroke MX bikes. And I did do my research, however, I didn't start ripping the damn bike apart to see all of its nonsense pieces. It looked, felt, and road very nice when I first get on it. Thats why I bought it. Here is how it went down.

I came from my aluminum CR250 to this. I sat on the seat and the suspension felt like a cloud, then I started it...electric start, need I say more? Then it started and revved so smoothly. Then I put it into gear. I didn't have to rock it and leave the clutch part way out when doing it, it just went into gear. Then when I road it down the road it felt like I was rolling on air. I mean, after that, why wouldn't I buy it?

Sadly, that was all the "new" feeling. While all those things were true I wasn't aware of all the "WTF Kawasaki Moments" as clifsta put it.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

When you put maintainence in a few short sentences anything can sound easy. Even heart surgery.

Sedate the patient, make a lateral incision, spread the ribcage, open blocked artery, stitch back up, revive patient.

That wasn't so hard was it?

I'm not blowing things out of proportion. I'm simply a really dissatisfied customer. And Like I said, I did do plenty of reasearch, but the "WTF Kawasaki Moments" arent' thigns that are listed.

And Clifsta, if your a "noobtard" as you put it (your words, not mine)....then how can you have such hate for Yamahas????????

Old 04-04-2009, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad I coined a phrase "WTF Kawasaki" that gives you such entertainment It is pretty fun to say

I'm not gonna question your background or you knowledge, because yes I am definately a beginner rider even after 9 months. If you say you did your research then I'll take your word for it. Just kinda hard to believe you could go from love to hate in a span of just a few months. Maybe your expectations were a tad too high. IDK. I'm not gonna judge you, you gotta do what's best for you. You seem like a cool *** dude, so I'll take your word on what you have to say.

I have hate for Yamaha because the influential people in my life hate Yamaha... and my best friend has an R1 and its a POS... and based on my limited knowledge, they are as overpriced as Honda, if not moreso.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Well...my number 1 complaint is simply design and maintainence. I could let all else go.....but that to me is like mentioning Niagra Falls to Moe Howard (3 stooges).

Believe me, it took me about a year and a half to buy a dual sport bike, and I researched the KLX250 for months before buying.

Its a typical thing to ask someone that owns something how they like it. You'll find 9 times out of 10 (even if they have alot of problems with it) they will say "oh yeah I like it, its great". You have that to contend with, on top of the "newness" feeling, which is basically the euphoria of a new toy mixed with the naivety of not being used to the new machine.

However, this machine has taught me something. Next one I buy I will be scrutinizing with a magnifying glass. But ya know what? Even that won't be enough, because no matter what you do you won't know everything. You have to mix luck along with skill and hope it works out.

I'm just bitter thats all, I know it, and I admit it. I guess my point in all of this is to let the rest of you folks know that there is better stuff and better ways of doing things out there and much like battered wives (lmao, I love that analogy) you don't deserve it, and you don't have to take it anymore.

And yes, you most certainly did coin the "WTF Kawasaki Moments" and yes I do like it and will use it often.

I suppose I'll end this now before I bring everyone down too much. My apologies.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I suppose I'll end this now before I bring everyone down too much. My apologies.
Why? You're entitled to your opine.

I agree the shim replacement requirements on da klx are a PIA and a real old design .... but at least it works, so I can live with it.

But I'd rather adjust the valves on a 200 hp yammi outboard any day of the week before doing the klx valves.

Before you take a too serious look at the new Yammi wr.....make sure you take a peek at one of those ktm300xc-w's ..... plated smoker with electric
start.

I'll keep the klx as my sand scooter and loaner girl....but I'm no former mx rider.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I know I am, but ya can only take so much of someone cryin' in their beer....root beer in my case

I would be all over those Orange bikes, its just the price, ya know? We live in an ObamaNation.... hard times upon us, mate.

I'll look around and see what I come up with. What really gets up my azz is I've been constantly working on my bike since I've got it. Theres never been a time that I haven't. All in the name of either jetting, or uncorking Kaw's mess. I almost hate to get rid of it after all of that, but I know I'm going to have to because its never going to end. From what I hear I should be satisfied with the WR's power delivery...and she don't look too half bad either. I would LOVE to take a 450 MX bike and convert it over, but theres no freakin way I'm going through all that red tape.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I would be all over those Orange bikes, its just the price, ya know? We live in an ObamaNation.... hard times upon us, mate.
I know, and there are some great deals on used bikes out there...people can't seem to give them away.

How about a ktm 440exc street legal two stroke in killer shape with lots of extras for $1,900.

I bet there would be no complaining about power with this beast.

link to ad http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444479

Or if ya are too old for sumthin like that now

Pristine 03 KTM 200 exc ... with plate for $3,000

link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449543

Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

10,000 miles and the valves have always been perfect. My bike say every 2500 miles seems to develop some tapping and then it goes away. Right now the tapping is there on start up but 3 minutes after the bike is running the noise is gone. I had the shop change out the adjuster at about 4,000 miles, and the Cam around the same time, but now I'm thinking that the noise was just "normal" for this bike. The wife's 2006
XT
226 has covers on the side of the motor for adjusting the valves, looks way simpler to do.

Quick Reply: Valve noise, adjustment, cam chain