useful or useless observation.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Or you could just ride 5 over in all speed zones and be right on, I mean their not gonna give you a ticket for 1 mph over.
I actually almost go burned doing this.

I assumed after reading my new Ninja 500 would be about 5mph off. So I was riding at about 70 in a 60. Now that meant 65 in a 60 and who is going to get stopped for 5 over?

So I round a bend and I guess my speedo may have read 71 o 72. He clocked me at 69. Come to find out the speed is off 3mph.

I was riding the thing home at the tail end of 600 miles in 24 hours using that logic

I told him the truth and showed him the bill of sale so he believed I was unaware and he let me go. Nice guy.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
I always go by the tach. If you've driven or ridden your vehicle any length of time, you know where the shift points are and what your speed is relative to the tach. The speedo in my old Rover hasn't worked for about 3 years. Don't need it. Bikes are the same. Speedo's are for people who don't pay attention....
Not necessarily, jeff. If you have a Vapor you can set the speedo for precise accuracy even every time you have a slight change in the front tire size. The problem with the tach is that it changes relative to speed every time you change tires...unless it's the same exact tire every time. I just noticed a very noticeable difference when changing from a 100/100/18 to a 110/100/18...noticeable drop in rpm to speed as would be expected. None of this is that big a deal of course as it relates to our KLX. The only time I see it as an issue is when you're in a school zone or other very slow urban speed limit where you know they work the radar pretty hard for revenue generation. I like my Vapor and the ability to set my wheel size precisely, as it keeps fuel mileage and trip distances right on the money. This is pretty useful out west in some off road situations where you're following map mileages or instructions for those subtle singletrack and remote 2-track turnoffs.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If you ride a bike and are 5 over, then you are just more on the radar so to speak than cars when it comes to the police. Like I said, on all my bikes its the same thing, about 4 and a half under, so at anytime I can do 5 over and still be just about spot on. It works for me. Both GPS's read the same. The old "they won't pull me over for 5 above the limit" just doesn't work all the time or in every place you ride. It's better to stay right on the limit. Unless you like tickets.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Not necessarily, jeff. If you have a Vapor you can set the speedo for precise accuracy even every time you have a slight change in the front tire size. The problem with the tach is that it changes relative to speed every time you change tires...unless it's the same exact tire every time. ......I like my Vapor and the ability to set my wheel size precisely, as it keeps fuel mileage and trip distances right on the money. This is pretty useful out west in some off road situations where you're following map mileages or instructions for those subtle singletrack and remote 2-track turnoffs.
Yeah; you got me there TNC. Good point.