Update On Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Went ahead and ordered a used head with very low hours on it from a bike that was in a wreck that cracked the crank case that was parted out. Ordered a new piston, rings, and gaskets. I've got the head being inspected and checked out by Bill. I hung onto the cylinder sleeve because I didn't see any obvious damage to it.

I'm going to use this downtime to rewire the entire bikes electrical system. Along with doing that, I'm installing the edge tail light and maier rear fender. I'll have to fabricate something to get it to mesh together on the rear end.

I still need to get a new headlight, something way brighter than the one on my bike now. Maybe HID or LED, still looking to hear some recommendations from the forum members. After I get the new head light, I'm going to fabricate some kind of bracket for my Trailtech vapor and dashboard that I currently have mounted on the handlebars. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the ignition mount.

Lastly, I'm going to look for a replacement plastics kit or have the bikes fenders and shrouds vinyl wrapped or carbon fiber wrapped. To top it all off, I'm going to sand out the green on the low end of the engine and try to get it looking more like polished aluminum.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did bill charge for the pistion, rings, and gaskets.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My thoughts are the same as HF. I have been reading up on the many easy to do modifications from this website and was able to do the big bore mod with all the write ups available here and elsewhere. But with this mod the extreme damage that can happen if the details were not adhered to, I prefer to spend the cash to get the right part for the right job. In this case it would be the Web cams. This acr retiming has dire consequences since I already have the big bore kit installed. Sure the stock cams can be retimed and work as needed, but.... those pics were enough to keep me from doing it. chicken? maybe but I have other parts I'd like to buy instead of replacing parts needlessly. To the originator of this mod please don't be offended that is not my intention, your ingenuity/creativeness has me reading every post. Thanks for the entertainment.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Instead of new plastics how about new graphics, something you can call your own,
the guy that did mine will do custom work.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...art-2-a-29136/

Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow Jfoffy ! rewire the entire bike´s electrical system ? NO COMMENT on that .
It´s your bike and you seem to be getting a lot of good advice in the forum .
If you choose to listen to it or not is ENTIRELY up to you .
This just made me realise something : In the weeks prior to me posting the mod I did a lot of riding , mainly to test the mod in various conditions . This last week I rode verry little and posted a lot ( apparently with mixed results )
I think I´ll slow down on posting and ride more .
So if anybody is looking for me I´ll be out playing in the dirt

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Why are you rewiring the bike?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default The previous owner was a five star electrician :D

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Why are you rewiring the bike?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I gotta admit that toolbag turnsignal bulb deal is about as bubba as you can get. What a freakin' joke. I don't blame you for wanting to clean that mess up.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeavyFuel
I gotta admit that toolbag turnsignal bulb deal is about as bubba as you can get. What a freakin' joke. I don't blame you for wanting to clean that mess up.
Yeah I have the wiring diagram. I can't imagine that it would be too terribly difficult to re wire at least the rear end of the bike from battery back. It's so messed up right now that I don't really have a choice. I'm still not sure why someone packed the light bulbs in the tool kit while they were still wired up. Someone mentioned that they did it because they didn't know how to install a resistor for the aftermarket LED turn signals that were installed. Who knows.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

That stuff should be easy enough for you to do. I suggest soldering and heat shrinking the connections, or you can buy heat shrink crimp connectors which are very good. Go slow and you will be fine on that stuff.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Likely goes without saying, but I'd suggest taking lots of before pics, and doing small sections at a time. That is pretty hideous looking...

Quick Reply: Update On Bike