Update On Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Update On Bike

Went ahead and ordered a used head with very low hours on it from a bike that was in a wreck that cracked the crank case that was parted out. Ordered a new piston, rings, and gaskets. I've got the head being inspected and checked out by Bill. I hung onto the cylinder sleeve because I didn't see any obvious damage to it.

I'm going to use this downtime to rewire the entire bikes electrical system. Along with doing that, I'm installing the edge tail light and maier rear fender. I'll have to fabricate something to get it to mesh together on the rear end.

I still need to get a new headlight, something way brighter than the one on my bike now. Maybe HID or LED, still looking to hear some recommendations from the forum members. After I get the new head light, I'm going to fabricate some kind of bracket for my Trailtech vapor and dashboard that I currently have mounted on the handlebars. I'm hoping I don't have to remove the ignition mount.

Lastly, I'm going to look for a replacement plastics kit or have the bikes fenders and shrouds vinyl wrapped or carbon fiber wrapped. To top it all off, I'm going to sand out the green on the low end of the engine and try to get it looking more like polished aluminum.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a LED on my Harley....OMG...I can see sooooo much better

Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to use this downtime to rewire the entire bikes electrical system.

Oh no, take your seats folks, here we go again

Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

A little info about carbon fiber wrap that I saw on smj

carbon fiber plastics for my wr?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:18 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Let's see...jhoff is going to completely rewire his bike. Anyone remember this pic that I often post for various reasons?...LOL!

On a serious note...jhoff, what happened to using the post reserved just for you that Gary C. so graciously set up?

Attached Thumbnails Update On Bike-burnt-motorcycle.jpg  
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nornalup
Oh no, take your seats folks, here we go again
ROFL! I know it's nasty, but this is EXACTLY what went through my mind! Where's the popcorn? Sequels are rarely as good as the original movie, but I have a feeling this one is gonna be a cracker!

jhoffy22, if all good honesty I can't sit here and wait for the fallout of this move. Didn't you learn from your last ordeal? PLEASE reconsider your plan. Is it really broken enough to have to try and fix it? I would love to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are better with electrics, but given you blew a fuse becuse of shorting something out and didn't know to look for the fuse without asking, I am HIGHLY skeptical you have the knowledge/experience/whatever to tackle the ENTIRE electrics of the bike. Seriously, I am a certified a$$hole, I know, but not even I am enough of an a$$hole to just let you go ahead without some kind of warning.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry jhoffy, I may of sounded a bit harsh but I'm with Arctra.

You just got the bike, which worked fine, and then embarked on ripping every inch of the thing apart to mod the hell out of it. I like anyone willing to have a go, BUT. Really you should just get that bike back together and ride the hell out of that thing, and get to know it a bit better from the cockpit first.

For me personally I was obsessed with mods when I first got it. But when your having a blast in the dirt somewhere on the klx, this forum and the latest aftermarket gizmo is the last thing going through my head.

My 2 cents worth.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
For your own peace of mind and safety, and that of your loved ones, please reconsider.

If there's nothing wrong with the electrical system on your bike, stick with the mechanical issues that you have. Solve those first!

Electricity is even more unforgiving than bad valves in an engine. Please don't do this to yourself.

All the best.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll be following closely. I take pleasure in the pain of others. And I am a nice guy too.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's some random thoughts from me regarding modding the KLX:

One of my favorite aspects (one of many. I LOVE my KLX!) is how reliable it is. Many times I've been alone, deep in the woods, knowing what an ordeal it would be if the bike left me stranded, but I've come to trust the bike over the years. It's such an easy bike to own, I lube the chain, change the oil, and ride the crap out of it, and it just keeps on running perfectly. I understand the allure of mods, particularly ones that add power, but I'm very leery of doing anything that will affect one of this bike's key features. It seems the big bore kits are successful in adding more power without harming reliability, so I'll probably do that one someday, but money is tight these days, and aside from not wanting to be stranded, I can not afford to rebuild this engine. If I blew it up, it would become a dusty reminder in my garage what could have been a great riding season.

Quick Reply: Update On Bike