Understanding tire and tube sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default tires and tubes

Hi horizonod, don't take this the wrong way just trying to be helpful. First I would do what most riders do, that is buy a good tire repair/inflator kit and the tire tools to use it. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind that if you do get a flat you can fix it and ride home safely. Riding on a flat with no matter how many rim locks is just inviting trouble, at best you could end up on your noggin and do yourself or your nice bike unnecesary damage. I havn't had a flat since I don't know when, but I know if I left home without my kit and tools sure as crap I'd get one. Also in my bikes original toolpouch on the rear fender I carry a spare 21" tube which in an emergency can be used in either wheel. Anyway Happy New Years, and may you have many miles of flat free fun.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

No offense taken whatsoever. I'm just throwing out an idea for using a standard piece of equipment outside the norm.

I have a complete tire kit that I carry with my tools for an emergency but hope I'll never have to use. I'm not talking about riding a flat for any great distance. My last flat was only a mile or 2 from home. I babied it all the way home but it was a tense ride. Like riding on ice kinda. The tire being off the bead and meandering back n forth in the rim is much of the reason for the loss of control.

I realize 3 rim locks is not "standard" practice for locking a tire to the rim so it won't spin. This is just an idea for expanding the usefulness of an accepted piece of equipment.

Would 3 rim locks hurt anything?
Would having 3 be dangerous?

MIGHT having 3 keep a low or flat tire on the rim?
MIGHT keeping a low or flat tire tight on the rim benefit cautious handling?
MIGHT having 3 rim locks keep a low or flat tire centered in the rim and prevent rim damage?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM

I ride mountain bikes as well as my KLX 250 and in an emergency situation you can stuff your tire with leaves and it will get you a few miles. this has been done several times by friends of mine that were in a bad situation and it worked to get them out of trouble.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldphart
if you buy a new tire for your car and look on the sidewall there is usually a red or white dot or circle or some mark to indicate the heavy spot and you mount that opposite the valve stem then put it on the balancer and balance it up.
Actually, it's just the opposite. The dot or mark on the sidewall indicates the lightest spot on the tire and should be lined up with the valve stem because the extra weight of the valve stem will help balance the tire.

Dunlop says this anyway: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info....asp?id=16#tip

Last edited by mustang; 01-22-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 PM
1st Gear Member

3 rimlocks would bog down your little engine. 2 will balance. I'm running 1 rimlock balanced out with stick on weights. Works perfect.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

If your main concern is having a flat and being able to continue riding, then you should consider installing a bib mousse into each tire. This is a semi-solid device which takes the place of an innertube. They are NOT made for high speed riding, however. I imagine that they are probably difficult ot install, especially if your tires have very stiff sidewalls.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Just let him fit 3 rimlocks. First time he has to replace a tube he'll only put one rimlock back on.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Just let him fit 3 rimlocks. First time he has to replace a tube he'll only put one rimlock back on.
Absofreakinglutely. . .