Unabiker radiator guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Unabiker radiator guards

Anybody installed and using a set of these? What are your thoughts, I've got about 2500 miles on it and no get offs so far so I'm due. How was the install and how well do they protect it?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike has a set, untested by drops. Before you install them get a caliper and check the length of the rods. The ones for one side were a bit long. Almost stripped one before I figured out what was going on. Had to ovalize one hole too to get the guard a bit further back so the front fender wouldn't nick it when turning. Take your time, put it all together without loctite, then when it's all good, reassemble with loctite (blue). My install was complicated by having the bike in the basement without the fuel tank on and everything kind of ties together. Once it was all done I felt OK with them. Should really help in a fall.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 01-23-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

i like them. havent really drop tested them cus of my acerbis tank, but they sure have payed for them selves with sticks and such deflected off the front. as stated, the rods can be a pain to put in but in the end its a high quality kit.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tested them once on each side. They worked as they are supposed to. Glad I have them.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info as I remember helping a friend with an install years ago and had a few issues also. I hate add to anything to the bike, only take crap off but I think these will pay for themselves after a crash or three. It's tax check time so time for some do-dads and frakles.

Last edited by linkin5; 01-23-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I also highly recommend them. Those radiators are very expensive. I had a couple good get-offs back in November but didn't notice any damage until I started doing some maintenance recently. The unibiker guard on the left side was caved in a bit. I straightened it out easily with some pliers. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been running the unibiker guards, I would have been shopping for a new radiator, or seeing if I could get mine repaired. Back a ways Nobrakes , here on KF, just about impaled his radiator with a small tree. He was very glad he had the guards on that day.
Dan

Name:  IMG_7532.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  85.7 KB

Old 01-23-2011, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
i like them. havent really drop tested them cus of my acerbis tank, but they sure have payed for them selves with sticks and such deflected off the front. as stated, the rods can be a pain to put in but in the end its a high quality kit.

Do the guards fit with the acerbis tank? I was under the impression they didn't work together...

Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had them for two years. Bike has been crashed, fallen over, thrown down a trail and once dropped on the trailer where the radiator slammed into the trailer side rails. Zero damage to the guard, bike or radiator. Best money I have ever spent on this bike.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm sold, I just placed the order this morning, $112 shipped and it should be here this week as long as he dosen't have to make it first.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Got the Unibiker braces today and installed them, I had to test fit first for clearence on the left one but no problems just loosen it tweek and retighten. Install was 35 minutes and was strait forward as the instructions were ok and his manufacturing process is improved from the old days and fit and finish were nearly spot on. I didn't snap any pics as the install was too easy and could be done without the instructions if necessary. Also picked up a butt plug for the muffler to keep water out when washing it, a fork support for when I haul it so I don't crunch the forks and some of those Padded disks that go on the grips, I don't know why but I like them.

Quick Reply: Unabiker radiator guards