Ultra heavy duty tube weight and performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ultra heavy duty tube weight and performance

What tubes are you guys putting in all these new tires. I have read that the uhd michelin air stop tubes are 4 lbs. Some say it doesn't handle as well and will give more of a gyro effect. I think I may go with just heavy duty tubes. Just lost in the many choices out there. I know the heavy duty tube i run now loose air fairly quickly (front and rear). Forgot what tubes I have in now, I think irc. Opinions

Old 02-24-2010, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmar
What tubes are you guys putting in all these new tires. I have read that the uhd michelin air stop tubes are 4 lbs. Some say it doesn't handle as well and will give more of a gyro effect. I think I may go with just heavy duty tubes. Just lost in the many choices out there. I know the heavy duty tube i run now loose air fairly quickly (front and rear). Forgot what tubes I have in now, I think irc. Opinions

Unless it's a teeny-tiny hole, puncture any tube and they all lose air REAL quick, regardless of how "heavy duty" they are. Maybe a heavy one lasts an extra micro-second or two, I never could tell.

As to avoiding "pinch flats" ... seems thicker would be better, but I've gotten as many pinch flats with super heavy tubes as with cheapo ones ... proper tire pressure is way more important than tube thickness.

As for the gyro effect ... from a purely physics standpoint - yes, heavier = more gryo effect. Practically speaking, I typically don't run my dual sports faster than 60 - 75mph on paved race courses with rapid turn transitions so the gyro effect isn't a big deal ... just my two cents.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I use these and they've copped a lot of heavy terrain and are still holding up. Good plug FWIW.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

UHD in the rear and HD in the front.

It does allow you to run lower tyre pressure without getting a pinch flat.
Never noticed any difference regarding the weight but there must be some.

Last 2 flats have been torn stems in the front.
(always a risk when running sub 12 PSI)
I've now put a rim lock on the front as well as on the back.
What's a bit of extra vibration on a DS?

Only down side is price.
Oh and they are harder to change on the trail.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure you add rim locks, my old klx did not have any stock. I tore the stem out twice before I was smart enough to do it.

I ran a hd in the rear and a name brand regular in the front. Stay away from the china tubes if you can.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been runnin the Kenda Tuff tubes. I dont have rimlocks yet, but haven't had any problems with pinch flats or stems ripping out. I will be getting rim locks so i can run lower tire pressure. Right now w/out the rim locks I keep about 20psi front and rear.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you're concerned with weight, durability, and puncture integrity. Why not try Neutech tubeless? I've been running the system for several months now with a little tubeless Slime in them, and it's been bulletproof. Even cactus and mesquite tree thorns haven't caused any air loss. Pointy rocks and hitting rock ledges hasn't caused any problem. In fact, I'm becoming more worried about my rims, whereas I used to worry about my tires.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been using the Kenda Heavy duty tubes for 10,000 miles, never even had a low tire. Didn't notice any difference in power or performance.

rim locks are overrated.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

After I pulled the tube out of my RM125, and saw that it was almost worn through in a few places, I switched over to the heavy duty tubes in all my bikes. The weight difference is insignificant.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I run the bridgestone uhd tubes, FWIW. 15-17 psi.

I think most tubes are made by one manufacturer anyways (at least this is how the mountain bike world works, most tubes have a kenda logo on them regardless of what "brand" box they came in)