U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:53 AM
Default RE: U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info

Ahoy from Tampa,

I haven't been on this forum in a month or longer...darn it. Recenlty rode the entirely stock KLX on 50 miles of trails in the Ocala National Forest, and friggin' LOVED it (new rider in dirt, sloppy with no skills but hangin' in there). To find rides in FL, check this forum, but check dixiedualsport.com for super-organized and supported group rides, and also check advrider.com "East" regional forum for informal dual sport group rides around FL.

Peace,

Charles

Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikem1965

ORIGINAL: JB1

when is a good/safe mileage to switch to synthetic on the KLX250S?

I have run Mobil 1 in my Silverado since first oil change.
well all I can say is what I will do with mine- when I get it-next week i hope.. I will probably drop the factory fill at about 100mi. since I plan for a lot of that to be **** kickin in the dirt. i'll fill with regular oil for another 3-400 miles and then go to syn.. HOWEVER i must tell you- i get my oil for free.. though if I didn't I would do close to the same, Iusually keep my vehicles for a long time- and like the piece of mind.
Thanks...I just bought mine Dec 15 so I only have 54 miles. Im not worried about the cost of Mobil 1, like I said I run that exclusively in my silverado and other cars.

I even added this nameplate under my hood.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
and Castrol GTX 5W20 coats my '05 Grand Caravan's 3.8 V6 with the same filter. Purolator also makes the Motorcraft oil filter which is the one I actually buy at Wallyworld.
Doesnt mopar recommend 10w 30? or 5w30... 5w 20 seems kind thin, unless the motor is designed for that.... just askin.....

Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I didnt know mopars are using 5w20 now.... when i worked at pennziol ford just started using it.... interesting....

Old 02-28-2007, 02:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

i hate to be the first pessimist, but Mobil1 is just a name. It's no better than any other synthetic oil. Golden Spectro, Motul, Bel-Ray, Royal Purple, Castrol, Valvoline, walmart synthetic- they all have to pass tests to get their respective rating. I think the current one to look for is SM. And even some dino oils have this rating. It's all marketing. What does RC's mechanics put in his Suzuki? That's probably an oil you can trust and I bet it's not Mobil1. Sure Mobil1 is excellent oil and I've paid the $6 a quart for it and even dished out another $12 for the Mobil1 oil filter. Then I did a little research and found out I was wasting my money. Now Purolator filters my '06 3.0 Ford Fusion's Motorcraft syn-blended 5W20 oil and Castrol GTX 5W20 coats my '05 Grand Caravan's 3.8 V6 with the same filter. Purolator also makes the Motorcraft oil filter which is the one I actually buy at Wallyworld.
There is a difference... your mechanic may knowalot about alot- but I get my info from guys in the oilindustry for 30,40,50 years- and theyknow their stuff and don't BS.. Synthetic Oil, by a 60 year old definition-. Simply means a base oil that has a natural viscosity index rating of >120 before additive treatment. When they wrote this definition they had no clue as to refining techniques that would be developed in recent years that would actually allow for the refining of conventional petroleum oils that yield base oil stocks with VI readings >120 prior to additive treatment. In the older days only group IV base stocks could achieve this rating which are the "man made" versions of base oil or the PAO stock that Mobil makes etc. Group III base stocks can now achieve >120 VI and thus CAN be called synthetic when in reality ¦they are not and do not provide all of the advantages of man made perfect oil. It is a very old industry and the definitions need to be rewritten to address the times but until they are these kinds of things take place. My opinion is that it isdeceiving to the customer as they THINK they are getting a man made molecule but they are not

Old 02-28-2007, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

I knew this was gonna turn into an interesting thread/debate [sm=bangbang.gif]

Quick Reply: U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info