U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Default U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and am days from actually owning a KLX250S.. but I wanted to say how much this site has helped..

also am looking for South Florida riders to talk to..

And to pass on my area of "expertise" I have been working for an ExxonMobil distributor for close to 8 years. and want to say that the amount of ignorance and dis- information about oil out there is amazing- I AM NOT trying to push Mobil 1- It does nothing for me if none or all buys it.. but I will tell you that synthetics ARE WORTH the money- and be carful, there are cheats out ther like Castrol- not a TRUE synthetic, but because of loopholes they are allowed to say it.. Mobil 1, amsoil, gold spectro are the tops-- I could list about 1/2 reasons why syn. is far superiorthat regular mineral oil.. let me know if you care.. also I personally feel better about using true MC oil in clutches than car oil..

Peace and thanks for all the info

Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Default RE: U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info

I am in Sanford, Fl. Crashed my bike, but I have used mobil 1 in all my bikes for the last three years.

I even used for my street/track 600 rr. The best stuff around.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I would be interested in what you have to say...because I hear a lot of stuff. I personally Motul right now but I only hear good things about Mobil 1 it's just nobody carried it locally until about 6 months ago. I was taught by my previous employer that synthetics should never be used during break in and are not recommended for mc's until about 7,000-10,000 miles. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks

Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 AM

a quick reply for now- I will post more info tomorrow when time permits ( i'm weird, I like to talk about oil , but only when asked)

as far as MOTUL- i have no experience with it- but have never heard anything bad about it-
as far as brak in with sysnthetic- this is still a debtable area. several auto manufaturer's use Mo1 as a factury fill in their high performance machines.. it is somewhat of a myth that syn. is soo "slippery " tht it will not allow parts to brak in like they should.. HOWEVER- i would agree- as well as the tech at my job ( 35 yrs experience) that mineral oil is better for the first 1000+ miles. I am also a big advocate of changing the initial oil at about 500 miles- you would be amazed at all of the wear that takes place. throw a magnet into your oil after an initial change- but that is normal. I normally change again at 1000 and go tosynthetic- but i also believe in a "hard" brake in- non of this babying it.. you just have to be smart.. I think 7-8k is way late

I have personally seen a 1998 HD softail with over 120K - engine never touched- used MO1 after first oil cange-- ( no leaks either)

Old 02-26-2007, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I run Royal Purple in my Mustang and all of my bikes. I've always heard good things about the stuff. I've torn down engines that I've run RP in and I'm amazed at how it clings to parts. What have you heard (or know) about Royal Purple lubricants?

Old 02-26-2007, 08:51 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

when is a good/safe mileage to switch to synthetic on the KLX250S?

I have run Mobil 1 in my Silverado since first oil change.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

First of all, welcome to the asylum. Where in So. Fla are you? I live on the west coast in Ft. Myers.

I have been running Mobil 1 15w-50 in my '01 ZRX for about 54k of the 59k I have on it. Never had a problem one. Bike shifts easier and quieter. I'm a firm believer in synthetic.

I bought my '05 ZRX with 3100 miles. The previous owner had just changed the oil with Mobil 1 mx4t motorcyle specific oil.
When I changed oil after 3k, I put in the 15w-50. The tranny shifted so much smoother than with the mx4t. The mx4t being around 8-9 dollars a quart, why spend the money. A lot of people say it's not good to use car oil in a bike, but from my experience, it's not a problem.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 AM

ORIGINAL: mustang

I run Royal Purple in my Mustang and all of my bikes. I've always heard good things about the stuff. I've torn down engines that I've run RP in and I'm amazed at how it clings to parts. What have you heard (or know) about Royal Purple lubricants?
sorry I don't have any knowledge of RP- I have heard a lot of people use it- but don't know if it is a "true" 100% syn. or like Castrol a highly refined mineral oil.. I will try to post some specs that show the difference- so you can tell yourself.. You also bring up one of my top reasons for using syn. also.. it "clings" to metal sooo much better than mineral oil.. which is critical on startup

Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: JB1

when is a good/safe mileage to switch to synthetic on the KLX250S?

I have run Mobil 1 in my Silverado since first oil change.
well all I can say is what I will do with mine- when I get it-next week i hope.. I will probably drop the factory fill at about 100mi. since I plan for a lot of that to be **** kickin in the dirt. i'll fill with regular oil for another 3-400 miles and then go to syn.. HOWEVER i must tell you- i get my oil for free.. though if I didn't I would do close to the same, Iusually keep my vehicles for a long time- and like the piece of mind.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: KevyzToy

The previous owner had just changed the oil with Mobil 1 mx4t motorcyle specific oil.
When I changed oil after 3k, I put in the 15w-50. The tranny shifted so much smoother than with the mx4t. The mx4t being around 8-9 dollars a quart, why spend the money. A lot of people say it's not good to use car oil in a bike, but from my experience, it's not a problem.
the 15w50 is actually closer to MC oil than any other MO1 oil- because ithas additives fordiesel engines which make it better for the clutch and gears.. i will e-mail you about location- maybe we can hook up

Quick Reply: U guys rock- any SO. FL riders? syn. oil info