Two front flats in 2 months.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Angry Two front flats in 2 months.

So I bought a brand new 2009 KLX250S at the very end of March. Eveything was working fine and decided to take it on my first road trip. I had about 250 miles on the bike altogether when I started. So about 80 miles into my trip I get a front flat tire. Turns out the area around the charging valve ripped all the way around almost, I would say tore about 3/4's around the valve. No big deal, probably just a cheap manufacturer version. So I buy a new tube, with a reinforced charging valve area. Then I deployed to Kuwait, and my Dad is riding the bike. He has only put about 200 more miles on the bike since the last new intertube. He just e-mailed me and said he got a front flat. Unfortuneatly he doesn't know where in the tube yet, but it is brand new. The bike has only been on the street and freeway, so no offroad possibilities. Anyway, I called the dealer i bought it from, because I am now questioning if something is wrong with the wheel and/or tire. They said they will check but if it's just a regular flat I have to fron the bill. Has anyone had this problem with their bike? Does it sound like I had a string of bad luck? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the wheel have a rim lock? The tube tearing around the valve sounds like the tire is slipping on the rim.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Cory,
I had 4 rear flats on my 06 i the first 6 months of ownership. All were at the valve stem. It seems the oe tires tend to slip on the rim thus ripping the valve stem. Most of the time, it was due to the tire slowing going down over time. The fix was to check the preassure very often and make sure they have over 25 lbs of air in them. I have since replaced the tires w/ Dunlop 606"s and they don't spin on the rim even at 16 lbs of air. I don't have rim locks so i don't want to go lower than 16.

Keep an eye on the air presure and check the rim at the valve stem for any sharp edges that could cut the tube at the stem.

Thanks a bunch for your service and be safe

KLXelent

Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Run max air. I wonder did you have a real fast stop on pavement? I have 11,400 miles on my bike and 4 tires later I have yet to get a flat.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Actually the first flat I got I was riding on the freeway around 70 mph, and I ran out of gas so the bike slowed really quick (tried to push it to the next stop, wasn't on res). At the same time I got a flat, you think this is more than coincidence? My Dad had said he was slowwing to get off the Expressway when it happened to him.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Also, what are rim locks?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Rim locks are a device that clamps the tire bead against the rim from the inside. They look a bit like a valve stem. They have a threaded bolt that sticks through a hole in the rim and you tighten it up and it pulls against the bead from the inside. Hard to explain but pretty simple device. I would make sure you have 18 to 20 some odd lbs in the tire and also loosen the little keeper nut on the valve stem off about half way so that the valve stem can move a bit. kind of weird this happened on the front. I can only think that it is from sudden stopping an a low air pressure and the tire spun a bit.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

My front did that on the second ride too. I was shocked when I pulled it off and there wasn't a rim lock. I have them now.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 AM

I am having a hard time finding rim locks online. Anyone got a link to a site where I can find the right size for my bike? Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Corytrade
I am having a hard time finding rim locks online. Anyone got a link to a site where I can find the right size for my bike? Thanks everyone for your help!
Get tehm here.
http://www.Motorcycle-Superstore.com...-Rim-Lock.aspx

Quick Reply: Two front flats in 2 months.