Tusk D Handguards.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tusk D Handguards.....

I know this has been covered before and I've read bits and pieces about it, but can someone please put together some pics and some good instructions about installation. I'm a little confused about the wieghts on the end?? Do they serve a purpose and will removing them harm anything. I want to replace the stock guards cause I broke them already and replace them with the Tusk D handguards. Where do I cut?? How much??
I would really hate to butcher my bike on my first mod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.........and yes I did several searches but nothing really made me feel confident with the cutting and grinding part.

Dave

Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tusk D Handguards.....

Hey Dave,

I have stock bars and installed the Acerbis Rally DualSport handguards (the ones with the built-in turn signals).

I tried to remove the welded in weights, but for whatever reason, couldn't hammer them out. I ended up drilling and tapping the weights for my installation. I can look up the post if you think that's the way you want to go.

Mike

Old 12-04-2006, 09:17 PM

DD6,

The weights in the end of the bar are to dampen vibration, I believe. I have not seen that there is a huge need for them, so I think you are on safe ground removing them. You may have run across my attempts at this in your searching. In case you did, I don't recommend that you do it the way I did it (drilling).

It sounds like those that have had the best success have used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel or grinder to remove the 3 little tack welds that hold each weight in. After popping off those welds, the weights should just pull right out, and you will be ready to insert the bar-end mounts for your new handguards. It really is pretty straightforward once you get into it.

I ended up screwing up my bars with some poorly aligned drilling, so I had to replace my bars. As for the need for the weights, none of the aftermarket bars that people have put on have them, and I don't think anyone has been overly concerned with any vibration.

Good luck. You will be fine.

Chris

Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for getting back to me so fast...........

On the throttle side, when I cut back the grip.........how much grip do I cut to get to the weight????

I'm assuming once I grind off the 3 *****, remove the weight, there should be a small hole to insert the bracket bolt???

I may just get new bars and new grips, they say the bars are weak anyway!!!!![:@]

I jut want it done easily,no mess, no fuss!!!!!!

Stupid ?? but---if I do order new grips and bars, is one of the grips larger to go around throttle??

As you can see, this is my 1st dirt bike.............

Dave

Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 PM

DD6,

Mine too. Those are all good questions. Taking them in order:

1. You will just cut of the very end of the grip on each side. Mine were not glued on, so I found it easier to remove them completely and then cut the end off. If you don't want to do that, you can just take a utility knife and cut the very end of the grip off with them on the bike.

2. Once you get the weight off, there will be a decent size whole. If my memory serves, the wall thickness of the handlebars is pretty thin (at least thinner than the cheap MSR aftermarket bars that I bought). If anything, the bore might be a bit on the big side of what you would normally want with the expansion brackets that come with most handguards. For this reason, some handguards come with rubber sleeves to go around the brackets before inserting into the larger ID bars.

3. If you are planning on replacing the bars (recommended), then now would be a good time. I think you will find that most folks have ended up replacing them at some point. So far I am the only one that I know of that had to replace theirs specifically because they screwed them up removing the weights. Most either replace them preemptively or because they bent them. If $ is an object (like it is for me), you can get good quality bars in the $32-$37 range instead of dropping big bucks on high dollar bars. I am sure the more expensive bars are better, but for my purposes they are probably overkill.

4. I have not replaced my grips yet, but I am pretty sure that your assumption of the larger ID throttle side grip is correct. It would have to be.

Good luck with your project.

Chris

Old 12-04-2006, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok....thanks alot....I will be placing an order for guards today!!!!!!!!
I'll let ya know how I make out....

I'm keeping stock bars for now, only replacing the gaurds because day 2 they broke!!!!!!

Old 12-05-2006, 12:48 AM
ktn

DD6-

I did the same...bent the stock bars and replaced. If I was in your shoes I would seriously consider replacing the bars now. How do they feel to you? Are they tall enough? I wanted, and I think most would agree, a taller set up for standing upright. Nows a good time to think about this stuff before you have to mess around with the weights on a ****ty set of bars! BTW, the Tusk stuff is good.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

As far as the grips go, when you buy a set for a dirt bike they come with one larger than the other. If you find ATV style grips that you like then you would have to look to see if it says that it accomodates a twist grip throttle.