turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default turn signals

iknow pictures would be better than descriptions, however i'm really bad with computers, and posting photos is way beyond me. i'm barely able to get on KF by myself, so bear with me. i removed my rear rack today (and my klx lost probably 20 lbs., that thing is really heavy, it should be rated for 100 pounds, not 11) and installed led flush mounted indicators both front and rear. they blink very rapidly now, and the box said i should install their resistor box called "flash-it." i went back to cycle-gear (really cool, well stocked store, that, according to the dirt-rider article, gives money back to the blue ribbon coalition, and was started by an isde medalist. save 15% with the magazine)they told me that the resistor box is great, but if the rapid flashing dosen't bother me, and i can still tell the lights are blinking, don't worry about it. is the guy correct? he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: turn signals

To me, a rapidly flashing turn signal is less noticeable.

He's right in way though.If you think the L.E.Ds are noticeable enough without slowing them down, there's not much point in going with resistors or solid state flashers. It's all about being visible.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

that's good news then. those LEDs are really bright, and i can still tell they are blinking. i'm not gonna worry too much about 'em then.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool, yeah the only time thatthe fast flash ratebecomes an issue is when you are running say LED's in the back and regualr (incandescent) bulbs in the front. The LEDs will make both front and rear blinkers flash faster. Normal bulbs take awhile to build to full brightness wheras the LED's are there instantly.

Ride-on!

ORIGINAL: neanderthaler

that's good news then. those LEDs are really bright, and i can still tell they are blinking. i'm not gonna worry too much about 'em then.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Or you could just buy little cheap 8 ohm resistors for like a couple dollars if that. I went to an electronics shop and he game me 2 of them..

I havn't wired them up yet, but this is how you do it. I found it easier to explain with a picture..
When you switch on your blinker the resistor will burn the power that the incandescent bulbs used to burn. Making the blink slower again.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like that would be much cheaper than the $26 box. i appreciate the help, but i think i'm gonna let mine blink rapidly for now. they are yellow LED's, and they are plenty bright at night, and like i said, you can definately tell they are blinking. thanks again, though. i'm sure someone will need this info.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that's probably all that $26 box is. A way for someone to make some cash off of something they bought for nothing.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: green242

Yeah, that's probably all that $26 box is. A way for someone to make some cash off of something they bought for nothing.
Yeah, that's kinda crazy. I can buy a solid state flasher for that price and it's WAY more efficient than using resistors.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have always thought that fast blinking lights drew more attention, well that's just not true, at least with the flush mount blinkers. A long flash shows change. Quick flash almost looks like nothing is happening. Anyway I bought the flasher relay that plugs right into where the stock flasher unit was and it fixed everything. Added bonus, I now have a choice of 5 different flash patterns, although I use the one that looks like its stock.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

where did you buy it? what was the price? The only one i could find was about $70 or so dollars and you had to hard wire it....

Quick Reply: turn signals