Turn Signal Problem/Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Turn Signal Problem/Question

This afternoonI put some new blinkers on the bike. Some smaller bike master ones (non-LED). Anyways, I tested both afterI plugged them in, and they worked great. However, whenI put the seat back on, I tested them one more time, and they don't come on. The front blinkers however blinked erradically? Who's got the answer for me...?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Turn Signal Problem/Question

I think that you might have bumped the rear indicator connections when you put the seat back on. Double check that they are connected correctly. Your blinkers are blinking fast because the rears are not connected, this is normal.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Turn signal circuits get there flash rate from the total resistance both front and rear lights so if your back lights are not working the front ones will flash fast. Check over all your wiring for the rear lights you just installed once you get that figured out. If the new lights are a differant wattage it changes the total resistance and could change the flash rate but it should be close.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SYK35

I think that you might have bumped the rear indicator connections when you put the seat back on. Double check that they are connected correctly. Your blinkers are blinking fast because the rears are not connected, this is normal.
Are u talking about where the blinker wires plug into the wires attached too the bike under the seat (hope that wasnt worded to confusingly), cause if so already checked that.
Front ones were normal, before the seat!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Also verify that you didn't somehow manage to ground out your new rears on the frame. i did this when mounting some flush mounts to the rear fender, the bolts touched the rear fender sub frame, and parts of the light body itself, which caused them to ground out. They worked fine when dangling off the bike, but when mounted, no workie. If you did this, you need to insulate between the metal mountain bolts/hardware of the new lights and those metallic points that the hardware/bolts touch.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UTRoss

Also verify that you didn't somehow manage to ground out your new rears on the frame. i did this when mounting some flush mounts to the rear fender, the bolts touched the rear fender sub frame, and parts of the light body itself, which caused them to ground out. They worked fine when dangling off the bike, but when mounted, no workie. If you did this, you need to insulate between the metal mountain bolts/hardware of the new lights and those metallic points that the hardware/bolts touch.
Mine were already mounted and working, just missing the seat....

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Called one of my buddies up,I think he's right. Blown bulbs. I plugged the stockers back in and they work great. Maybe a little to much juice for the aftermarket bulbs to handle...

Old 12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I installed the Bikemaster ones, and didn't blow a bulb, but I did install a sweet little plug in trick flasher unit (huh huh huh he said unit) that fixed the rapid flash, and bonus it gives you a choice of 5 flash sequences.[sm=smiley20.gif]

http://www.trickflasher.com/2005/RC_4.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I installed the Bikemaster ones, and didn't blow a bulb, but I did install a sweet little plug in trick flasher unit (huh huh huh he said unit) that fixed the rapid flash, and bonus it gives you a choice of 5 flash sequences.[sm=smiley20.gif]

deej, were ur bike masters led ones (mine aren't)? j/w. mine didnt have the rapid flash before they "broke"

Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirt_beaver

ORIGINAL: deej

deej, were ur bike masters led ones (mine aren't)? j/w. mine didnt have the rapid flash before they "broke"
No mine are not the LED lights, but I have the Acerbis hand guards with the built in turns, and the combination of dropping the rear ones down from 23W to I think 10 plus whatever the even smaller I think 7W bulbs in the hand guards were enough to cause it to blink too fast. That's when I went with the "Trick Flasher"

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problem/Question