Turkey carnage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Turkey carnage

Name:  IMG_2430_zps73bdc2e9.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  73.9 KB

^ That was caused by this tom, he was about 20lbs. It happened while I had the GoPro on my helmet NOT recording! Doh! I was doing 50+ mph at the time.

Name:  IMG_2431_zpsa7405b1b.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  148.0 KB

Now I need a new fender and a tail piece(one of the plastic holders for the bolt clip ripped out). Lost my fender bag too. I searched all over for it, I think it caught on a car that went past after the "incident".

Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I first read that as turn-key carnage.... I was like WTF? wow I'm tired, any who..... Is this considered hunting? Would you need a tag to take it home without being ticketed by a forest ranger? How did it taste? Backed in the oven, or deep fried? Yum turkey.....

Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Not like hitting a sparrow, eh?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

We don't have wild turkeys around here, but there's a Wild Turkey Federation that wants to release some into the wild, with hopes they'll populate the area. I didn't really care if they brought them or not, until now. After seeing this, I definitely don't want them. The last thing we need is another dumb animal running around beating up our vehicles.

Last edited by Rooster; 09-16-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Came around another corner and yes, there were more turkeys. All I could think was,"Here we go again!" Made it past them.
And yes they are not too bright.
And yes I would need a tag (I think), but he was pretty beat up and I'm not crazy about cleaning birds. Left him for the coyotes.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rooster
We don't have wild turkeys around here, but there's a Wild Turkey Federation that wants to release some into the wild, with hopes they'll populate the area. I didn't really care if they brought them or not, until now. After seeing this, I definitely don't want them. The last thing we need is another dumb animal running around beating up our vehicles.
We have tons of turkeys around my home area and at the main riding area about 40 miles to the south. It's not all that common to hit them or for them to be a real problem. I worry more about deer.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
We have tons of turkeys around my home area and at the main riding area about 40 miles to the south. It's not all that common to hit them or for them to be a real problem. I worry more about deer.
Dont forget sheep!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:00 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Dont forget sheep!
Sheep? This is cattle country, son. We don't suffer sheep in this here neck of the woods.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
+1 on the deer threat- I've had I hope my only encounter with a kamikaze Bambi on my SV(now known as the Deerslayer), center punched a 100lb doe at about 50 mph. I went over the bars(thank God for my back protector) and folded the forks back in to the rad. I still want to 'terminate' every forest rat that I encounter...Stay safe out there;.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I hit a moose on my Ducati about 5 yrs ago. We all survived, although the bike isn't so pretty, as it once was. I almost stopped, even did my only stoppie, ever, but almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
I'm glad it was just a turkey. I saw it coming and just braced for impact.
As to the moose and deer, I try not to ride too much at night, but if I have to the added lights you can see in the photo help. As does going much slower.
Still kicking myself for not turning on the GoPro. That bird was pretty tall and very fast. He almost made it. Very glad he didn't go head down into the wheel...that could've been bad.

Quick Reply: Turkey carnage