Tubeless tyre leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ray, did you use a new tire or one with some use on it? Most new tires will hold air quite well with the Neutech deal.
Yes, a new Dunlop D908 both times. I am tempted to try next without tightening the rim lock, it looks to me to be the weak point for leaks between inner tube and tire. Actually I wonder if a rimlock is needed with that system, there's surely enough side pressure from the inner tube to prevent the tire from spinning on the rim...

Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
Isn't there some sort of sponge rubber ball setup out there somewhere? Stuff your tires with rubber *****? Nice to do away with tubes, be even nicer to do away with air altogether...
I'm not familiar with the sponge ball thing, but there is a pnuematic individual ball system. One of the members here put these in his KTM if I'm not mistaken. It's not as easy to change overall tire pressure, but you can probably never have a sudden catastrophic flat scenario either.

Systems that don't run air, like the Michelin bib mousse, have a benefit in that regard, but they are holy heck to install and remove, and they are kind of hard on wheel life as far as spokes go. They are most popular in high speed desert racing, but those guys aren't usually concerned with long wheel life over time.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
Yes, a new Dunlop D908 both times. I am tempted to try next without tightening the rim lock, it looks to me to be the weak point for leaks between inner tube and tire. Actually I wonder if a rimlock is needed with that system, there's surely enough side pressure from the inner tube to prevent the tire from spinning on the rim...
On the Neutech system without the rim lock, yes, I think the inner liner at over 100 psi is more than sufficient to clamp the bead. It would just be during an inner liner failure that the tire would probably go south fairly quickly. I'm not sure, but I don't want to find out.

Ray, to be clear, is it the main tire pressure that isn't holding or the inner liner?...or both? I just don't think the rim lock is the problem there. Unless you've exceeded the nut tightening in some extreme way to either cut the tire bead or tear out the stem, I don't think this area is weak. After at least a couple of years now on this system being on the market that many riders have been using, the only complaint or pattern I see is the initial install where the user pinches that inner liner tube.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ray, to be clear, is it the main tire pressure that isn't holding or the inner liner?...or both? .
It's the main tire pressure. I had no problem with the inner liner keeping its 100psi.

Originally Posted by TNC
the only complaint or pattern I see is the initial install where the user pinches that inner liner tube.
Went there, done that. The first time I installed the Neutech, after a few attemps at deflating/reinflating and bouncing the wheel like they suggest, I decided to restart from new. Then I pinched the inner liner tube. Fortunately, they sell it separately at a very reasonable cost.

I agree with your remark about the rimlock being essential to help prevent a catastrophic mishap, should the inner liner tube fail. I want to use it on the road, even though most of my riding is in trails. Thus the rimlock will stay, if I decide to try the Neutech again. See how I listen to the old man?