Tubeless tyre leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Tubeless tyre leak

I have tubeless tyres on my motard, I noticed the last few days the air pressure of the rear tyre was low. Pumped it up today and did a check with the magic soapy water and found this.
Any opinions on taking off the tubeless tyre and fitting a new seal myself?
It would mean buying some new tools, but would save getting wallet raped by the bike shop....
Do you guys change your own tyres?

Name:  tyre2.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  tyre3.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  43.6 KB

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I change my own tires. Not because of money, but for time. The local dealer will take a week or two to get around to anything I drop off. Cycle gear in Fort Worth will change them while you wait if they're not busy, but it is an hour drive each way.

I can't see your pictures, but if it is the valve core leaking, that is an easy fix. If it is the valve stem, you'll need to break the bead. That can be done with the kickstand of another motorcycle, or you can make a bead breaker out of some scrap wood. The first few tire changes with levers will be HARD, but it gets easier once you learn the technique. If you are stubborn enough to do it, get at least three levers and have someone handy to hold the first two until you get the hang of it.

To remove the tire once the bead is broken, set it on the ground brake disk up. (If you work on the sprocket side you will bleed) Use your knees to push the bead down in the center of the rim and insert three levers opposite your knees about 2 or 3 inches apart. This is the part that requires an extra hand the first time. Just start levering the tire off by flipping the three levers, the third one will be hard, but once you get it the rest of the tire will pop off with no effort. Lubing the tire with soapy water helps, and installation will be just the opposite, but will only take 2 levers. I don't balance my tires, just throw in a handful of airsoft BB's.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

First, what kind of tubeless setup do you have? I didn't realize the motord model came with tubeless setups...or is it an aftermarket add-on? The type of design of your tubeless setup will determine what's wrong and how to fix it...and whether you'll feel capable of doing it.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

is there a tube in there?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Was thinking the same thing, but it's his bike, not mine. I've never really studied the motard version when I saw them on the floor, but I didn't think they came with tubeless. Seeing that it appears that he has a conventional spoked rim there, I'd think if there's an actual tubeless setup in the wheel, it's some kind of aftermarket add-on like the Neutech in my KLX. It's very common for a tubed tire setup to slow leak at the valve stem with a small puncture in the tube...but...that's also where my Neutech setup would leak if my inner liner had a leak. Still, not many people are running the Neutech setup right now, and most people who are, use it only on the dirt model. Plus I just thought of something. I don't believe Neutech has released a 17" tubeless version yet.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Tubeless usually goes with cast wheels. Must need some sort of special liner to run tubeless with spokes. Stuff a tube in there (proper size of course) and you should be good to go.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 11-11-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
+1 I'd say it has a tube.
I think it takes some special stuff to seal up a spoked wheel. I know they do it but my money is on an inner tube being in there.
Dan

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
+1 I'd say it has a tube.
I think it takes some special stuff to seal up a spoked wheel. I know they do it but my money is on an inner tube being in there.
Dan
That's possible.
The rims are Excel Takasago, which do come in tubeless flavour, at this moment I'm assuming they are. I'm having doubts though, and now in the process of removing the rear end, will do chain and sprockets at the same time.
Hopefully I can break the bead later to find out

Old 11-12-2010, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Borischan
Do you guys change your own tyres?
Yes. The first time I bought a tire the shop offered to install it (free? I doubt it). I declined saying I want to know how in case I ever got a flat. I've done it several times now. Once all I used was the contents of the kit I carry just to be sure I had everything and that it all worked as it should. The other times I cheated a bit and used the compressor instead of the bicycle pump. By the time a 4.60-18 is at the right pressure using a hand pump your arms are ready for a rest!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

It is in fact a tube, although I couldn't break the bead
Took it to the shop before I gave myself a hernia.

Quick Reply: Tubeless tyre leak