Trying to decide....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thehunterman
Well to tell the truth I was really looking for information on the pipes and not really a discussion on my reasons for buying the pipe
Point taken, but the reason it's relevant to discuss your choice of a loud pipe is two-fold:
1) Motorcycling is unfairly mis-understood and scrutinized by the general public. Believe it or not, there's even a lot of hate for us! When we disturb the public with excessively loud bikes, they are not thinking to themselves "whew, thankfully that biker had a loud pipe or I wouldn't have seen him". They are actually thinking, "that ignorant *****! Somebody ought to get these menaces off the road!", resulting in more & more anti-bike laws getting passed. Just be aware that when you are on a bike, you're an ambassador for the sport.
2) Motorcyclists are a family whose members care about each other. We just don't want to see you out on the road with a false sense of security because of an old wive's tail.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves
I have a FMF Powercore. Love the sound and the looks of it. I can't say a loud pipe will save my butt, but I sure am more noticeable when lane splitting, after installing the FMF.
Hey Malves, "when" lane splitting??? In Rio isn't that like 100% of the time???

Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
That old adage, "loud pipes save lives", is just something Harley riders try to justify for their obnoxiously loud, overpriced pieces of mid-life crisis.
H-D: the most efficient means of converting gasoline into noise without any undesireable side-effects of horsepower!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

My high viz helmet gives me a better feeling of security than my aftermarket pipe.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the idea of the super loud horn

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

i really like the hmf exhaust and fmf megabomb combination for sound and compatibility...fit is perfect...the megabomb seems to help keep the exhaust flow smooth with less harsh rumble and eliminating decel pops...

Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If your bike is loud enough for the morons in cages to hear with their windows up, stereo blaring, and attention riveted on a cell phone...you'll be deaf within 6 months...plus pi$$ing off every other driver out there who is paying attention to their driving. That old adage, "loud pipes save lives", is just something Harley riders try to justify for their obnoxiously loud, overpriced pieces of mid-life crisis.
Speaking of Harley riders...

Attached Thumbnails Trying to decide....-harleys.jpg  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Speaking of Harley riders...
HaHa! I have the *same* shirt!
Since we are off topic:
Q) How many Harley owners does it take to change a lightbulb?
A) Change a bulb!? That's for dealer service is for!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree that loud pipes can help while lane splitting. I've even noticed this while driving... or sitting in my car cursing at 405 traffic! I would hear them coming, then look in my mirror to see which side they're on, and I would scoot over to give them some extra space. It was rare that I would see them first, unless I was constantly looking in my mirrors.

I also have a hard time riding my honda ruckus around town, because it's so low and quiet. I've been pushed out of my lane plenty of times by cars that don't hear me, or see my bright gear/helmet. :/

I want to buy a super loud horn for my ruckus!!

Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Hahaha I was thinking about working out a way to attach one of those little foghorns to the bike,sneak up behind someone on the phone with the windows down and give em a couple seconds of foghorn they might jump outta their skins

Quick Reply: Trying to decide....