Trying to decide....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Trying to decide....

Well now that I've decided that I will keep and mod my '12 KLX250s now I need to decide what mods to do,new exhaust and jetting being first on the list.Now I know I want something fairly loud after a minivan mom almost splattered me pulling out of her driveway on her DAMNED phone!!! "I never heard a thing"........some people..... anyway almost kicking the bucket aside I figure a little more thump might get people's attention better, I considered the m-7 first and then add a fmf header once I save up some more and run the stock header till then but I heard about some fitment problems and something about melting the airbox and blinkers? seems odd but tell me what you guys think,also up for consideration are the muzzy full system and maybe the powercore 4 but the fmf seems very......overdone.... thought a bit about a big gun full system but it seems wwwwaaaaay loud like instadeaf kinda loud and I don't want to be an a**hole by busting eardrums.
Thanks,
Gage

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd get a full system from one manufacturer for fitment issues. I have FMF and have no compliants as fitment was good, you have to read and follow the instructions and that is an issue for alot of folks. Nothing has melted or fell off my 09

Old 04-09-2013, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Dg exhaust 150 for the slip pn 98 decibals

Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Full Muzzy system with the quiet core isn't too loud. Without the plug it is obnoxious though.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the M-7 slip on. It's 106 dB with the quiet tip! I am under no illusion however that it's saving my life. I am unaware of any study that shows a causal relationship between aftermarket pipes and rider safety.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Quiet exhaust, LOUD horn (eg: Stebel Nautilus). Noisy only when req'd.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Quiet exhaust, LOUD horn (eg: Stebel Nautilus). Noisy only when req'd.
Well to tell the truth I was really looking for information on the pipes and not really a discussion on my reasons for buying the pipe but suffice to say after almost having my bodybuilding career and possibly my life ended at the ripe old age of 17 while doing the speed limit in a suburban area I figured that a loud-ish pipe would get peoples attention off the phone,kid,pet or hairstyle and onto the road where it should be.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a FMF Powercore. Love the sound and the looks of it. I can't say a loud pipe will save my butt, but I sure am more noticeable when lane splitting, after installing the FMF.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thehunterman
Well to tell the truth I was really looking for information on the pipes and not really a discussion on my reasons for buying the pipe but suffice to say after almost having my bodybuilding career and possibly my life ended at the ripe old age of 17 while doing the speed limit in a suburban area I figured that a loud-ish pipe would get peoples attention off the phone,kid,pet or hairstyle and onto the road where it should be.
If your bike is loud enough for the morons in cages to hear with their windows up, stereo blaring, and attention riveted on a cell phone...you'll be deaf within 6 months...plus pi$$ing off every other driver out there who is paying attention to their driving. That old adage, "loud pipes save lives", is just something Harley riders try to justify for their obnoxiously loud, overpriced pieces of mid-life crisis.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I say go with the cheapest exhaust you can find. I regret putting that much money on my FMF Q4. Power gain VS money spent is marginal.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide....