Truckman's hood ornament - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Truckman's hood ornament - what is it?

You guys are truly awesome!!!!!! truck buffs and all......Hayes was not only owned by Mack trucks but they were also owned by Peterbilt back in the day.......Paccar to us regular folks now......LOL........I love playing out my history on heavy trucks on all forumns and i'm glad ...very glad that you guys nailed it because i posted the same question on another forumn that lives and sleeps heavy equipment and they still havn't got it yet,,,,,,,maybe i should check it out.....

Old 01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

OH yeah Deej...H17 truck is the last Hayes truck that was ever built.....That is Steve standing next to his machine....(the black Hayes) or Mack whatever you choose to call it.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

where is Kersey Pa??????? I need to get a case of beer to that man........My next stumper will have to be alot harder to answer...LOL

Old 01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

it actually looks similar to the front end of a diesel locomotive from that era. i wonder if they have any parts in common.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Truckman! Thanks a lot, but you don't really have to send me anything. I noticed you changed your avitar, but I didn't really pay attention to it until Mooredan brought it up. Then when I looked at it, I knew exactly what it was.

My grandpa drove truck most of his life, starting back in WWII driving Studebaker deuce-and-a-halfs. I was just a little kid when he drove a log truck, and I remember my dad taking me out to meet him in the woods once. I remember the old Hayes because the chrome bear was the only thing on the entire truck that shined! They wouldn't take the other trucks back in the woods because they couldn't take the beating, but that Hayes just kept going. Those guys were pretty fond of it. I don't know what year it was, but it wasback in the early '70's when I saw it. It was the only one I've ever seenhere in PA, then or since.This pic is pretty close to what I remember...

Anyway, thanks for the memories.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Truckman, you don't have to send me anything, I don't drink beer anyway, hmmmmm can you send a Gin and Tonic in the mail?

But you gotta check out this site, and by the way I kind of cheated anyway, I googled old trucks from the 70's and finally stumbled onto the site. Very cool. I like WWII stuff as well.

This one has hundreds of photos, maybe a few thousand. Good times.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm

A couple more examples.

CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops

Old 01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

How about R.G. LeTourneau? He invented a lot of cool stuff including a ship that could walk itself to shore and he used the electric wheel in a lot of his stuff. I actually used to work on these machine. 480 volt three phase. Each wheel has a ,motor and the lift, tilt and clamp all have motors powered by a central generator.

Here is another one of his inventions. Used a lot in the jungles of Africa and South America. Don't get in the way or you are toast.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

wow.
i want one
what do you think the bore is in that[&:]

Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL...yeah I always thought the letourneau tree crusher would be awesome to show up in at a treet hugger festival......A great book to read is "mover of men and mountains" by RG letourneau himself ...good book and he was a truly amazing man that reinvented the way modern earthmoving has formed into what it is today.He was a genious....Glad i could mix it up a bit here...that was fun.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Funny you should mention that book, there was a guy that stayed here in one of the apartments while he was doing some training and he had that book, and I read it. R.G. was really a good guy, and he used his talents to help a lot of people and invent some pretty cool stuff.

Quick Reply: Truckman's hood ornament - what is it?