Trigger lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

http://www.hypercycles.org/forums/ar...hp/t-6355.html

Some more information from another forum.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

(a) A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Good info Deej, course it could vary by state and as always the controlling agency (cop/judge) gets to decide what is "unreasonable." Do you know what state thats for?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

"Or I just put the kickstand down and back up and that usually triggers it." BY DEEJ
What the heck does that mean? By the way, I sure could have used reverse this weekend Ha HA. I think here in SC, they made it legal to turn left on a red light if nothing is coming, that is on a bike. We already can turn right on red. Haven't tried it in front of a LEO yet.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Well having only one stoplight in my town to experiment on, I have found this. If the light won't change, I either wait till a car comes up behind me, which could be 3 rotations of me being stuck there, which is totally unacceptable. Or I just put the kickstand down and back up and that usually triggers it. Last option and I've done this a few times, is if you are stuck there, you can legally (at least that's what I heard) turn on a red light if traffic is clear. The very last option is to just turn right and circle the block or take a different route. Since I only have the "one stoplight" I will just learn to deal with it. I do get some funny looks from people as I roll through the red light.... they should adjust the light sensors so that if a pedal bike is there it will go off.
WOW! Putting down the kickstand works!!!!!
I used to wait for cars to come behind me to trigger the light, now i just put the kickstand down and i see GREEN!

Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
Yeah i have done the waiting part for 2 cycles and finally just ran the red light making a left when it was clear(AT NIGHT). Im going to try the kickstand, never thought about it.

Thanks
The more metal surface you can put out there the better. About a year ago, I finally figured-out why motorcycles aren't allowed in most parking gargages in Japan....most of them are fully automated and have a magnetic strip that activates the toll collection machine and gate to lets you exit.

I was suprised when there was finally a garage that let me in, but the attendant had to run out with an old street sign and wave it over the sensor to raise the gate, so I could exit. Pretty comical stuff!

Most of our intersections that aren't timed have a overhead sensor that looks like some sort of loop coil that is about 8" in diameter, so you just have to make sure you are directly beneath it. Somethimes they provide a button to push for "2 wheeled vehicle use."

Last edited by tremor38; 04-30-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Humm...the old kick stand trick.... (use ur best Maxwell Smart voice)...

My source for magnets is a small outfit called Applied Magnets. If they don't have it then you probably really do not need it.

http://www.magnet4less.com/

I have oodles of magnets from them that I use for geocaching and mounting my rock lights underneath my Jeep. Who needs screws?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pseacraft
Humm...the old kick stand trick.... (use ur best Maxwell Smart voice)...

My source for magnets is a small outfit called Applied Magnets. If they don't have it then you probably really do not need it.

http://www.magnet4less.com/

I have oodles of magnets from them that I use for geocaching and mounting my rock lights underneath my Jeep. Who needs screws?
Where do you put the magnets? Can you give the exact link for the item? Does it trigger all lights?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

That is a trick I have never tried. We do not have any traffic lights with sensors in my neck of the woods in Thailand. The big cities have them but us poor folks in the provinces will sit and wait...sometimes. Brings new meaning to seat of the pants riding.

I have heard of just sticking them to the under side of the frame but if the kickstand trick works why spend a few pennies?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

The problem with bikes is the metal is in a vertical plane across the magnetic sensing field. For example I have walked out onto the road and used a garbage can lid to get detection, but only when laid down horizontal does it work. Not saying fall down at every signal but the best your gonna do is to lean the bike over, the kickstand isn't really doing much (worth a try though, LOL). When those magnets came on the market I took a big honkin woofer magnet out on the road, No worky, layed right on the pavement and moved around. Not sure about the neodyne, but have my doubts.

Most detectors , or loops, behind a stop bar (the white painted thing) are wound in saw cuts in a figure 8 pattern. The center of 3 three lines you see ends up with more wires so it is the 'hottest" or most sensitive part of the loop. This is where you want to be if your having trouble. Many agency's may refrain from telling bikers this because it's also where all the oil collects, many just don't know.

The detector sensitivity CAN be adjusted to pick up even small bicycles, the problem is it will then also detect vehicles in the next lane over, which may be traveling a different direction. amongst other problems. Tuning them for consistent motorcycle detection would be easy if everyone stopped in the same (and right) spot every time, but that doesn't happen.

If it's real problem and hazard at the same signal everyday don't be afraid to complain and ask if they can tweek the sensitivity up a little, maybe even get them to put a little paint spot in the lane where they think you should. Be accurate about the direction of travel and time of day, they aren't going to adjust them all, and some time of days the signal may not even be working off the sensor, but is in a timed mode. Also leave a contact number so they can let you know that a change was made, there may have to be some feedback back and forth to get it set right.

FWIW, one of the hats I've worn was maintaining the signals for a 4 county area of my state. Deej, I know your signal, Division st right, LOL. The other one is a fire signal.

Last edited by RimBender; 05-01-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Trigger lights