Trailtech Vapor Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jesspitb
One question though, I see some guys with klrs not cutting into the tube for the temp guage but instead replacing the sensor inside of the bolt going into the radiator. If anyone knows if this is possible on the klx let me know.
Nice job on the bracket!

I tried replacing the stock thermal switch with a thermistor from another manufacturer - the only one I could find with the correct M10x1.25 threads. Either it doesn't work or I fried the temperature circuit in the Vapor. I need to spend some time with a meter and the Vapor thermistor to see if I can figure out what the problem it. I'm really hesitant to splice their sensor into a radiator hose when the bike has a hole already there in the radiator for a sensor.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Where did you get that sensor? I see Daytona Motorcycle Parts sells 2 thermistors that are m10x1.25. One is digital and the other analog. I am not sure which the vapor would read correctly.

Also If Trailtech has an M12X1.5 adaptor, why not consider tapping the radiator to this size? Probably the best route to take at this point. I am going to go get an m12 bolt right now and hold it up to the radiator to see if there is room to make this work.

Opinions?

Last edited by jesspitb; 12-18-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mc1457
I'm really hesitant to splice their sensor into a radiator hose when the bike has a hole already there in the radiator for a sensor.
Why? it works fine

Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 PM

Now that I got looking at the vapor It looks as if I need the original temperature switch to set off the dashboard overheat light. The one spliced into the radiator hose would be for the vapor temp readout. I could see how if you chose not to use the dashboard you might want to use the existing hole in the radiator.

UNLESS: Is there a way to set off that overheat light without using the original temp switch?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not use the Vapor overheat light? You can program it to trigger the amber and red at whatever temps you set it to?

Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM

This is true. Then on the dash you would have , neutral light, brights, and seperate left right blinker indicators. Easy enough to splice the wires from the blinkers into the dashboard.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM

Punch out some holes from an old inner tube with a stationary hole punch. Epoxy the dots to the buttons. Makes them much easier to use. Cheers.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jesspitb
This is true. Then on the dash you would have , neutral light, brights, and seperate left right blinker indicators. Easy enough to splice the wires from the blinkers into the dashboard.
Not hard at all, actually. I bought a replacement dash connector so I didn't have to destroy the bike's wiring or the original connectors. I used the wiring diagram in the service manual to figure out the pinouts on the connectors. Then wiring the Vapor and dashboard was simply a bunch of soldering. My 4 Vapor dash lights are wired to neutral light, high beam, and separate right and left blinkers.

You could just as easily leave the L/R blinkers combined and use the 4th light for the stock temperature sensor switch. I was bent on separating the blinker lights.

I'll check out the thermistors you mentioned. I didn't come across them when I was searching, but I'm betting the digital one will work.

I'm trying to avoid splicing the Vapor sensor into a radiator line simply because it bugs me that there's a place on the bike for a temperature sensor. It's not a huge deal, and if nothing else works out I'll go that route.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Old 12-21-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Nevermind I caught my self asking a redundant question

Last edited by buffalony; 12-21-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailtech Vapor Bracket